Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One Firmware update

Xemik
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Hub One Firmware update

@bobpullen wrote:

@Xemik, all fairly new devices, mainly iPhones, Android phones and an iPad. All settings are as they were when you sent it back. I'm going to grab some logging from it now on the off chance there's still something telling there from when you were using it.

Edit: actually, turns out there have been two PPP drops on the line today. Haven't been in the office today, will take a look when I'm back in tomorrow.

Hm, my thinking was that older devices may be causing an issue with the new firmware. It might have broken something in the 'backwards compatibility'. Which got me wondering if the culprit is the Amazon Kindle Fire tablet, because it seems to be a common factor for those of us having this issue. Or any Amazon device for that matter since, they don't use 'vanilla' Android.

BaltiSalty
Hooked

@bobpullen wrote:

@BaltiSalty, thanks, I've now downgraded the device. When you return over the weekend, let me know if it's helped.

@grahamt, thanks for the offer. Will let you know if there's anything you can do to help Smiley

Thank you  @bobpullen.  My wife has confirmed that WiFi is up and running and she uses an old Amazon Kindle Fire HD tablet every day.  Fingers crossed that this solves the issue.

In my original list of devices, I forgot to mention that we also have Kindle e-readers which are occasionally connected to WiFi.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@BaltiSalty & @Xemik, examination of the logs suggests that we are looking at a common cause.

Based on the crash signature, there's a working assumption that a particular device is not playing very nicely from a wi-fi power management/saving perspective. Is shouldn't cause the Hub to crash, but knowing that it does will aid investigation.

It would be really helpful if you can help isolate which device this might be (assuming the theory is correct of course)? Let me know if this suits? Needless to say, I'd need to move you both back to the 'bad' firmware.

Which got me wondering if the culprit is the Amazon Kindle Fire tablet, because it seems to be a common factor for those of us having this issue.

Yep, that and the Sky+ box seem to be the common factors, so I'd start with them.

@BaltiSalty, not sure how that's likely to go down with the other half if she uses the Kindle every day? Wink

In the mean time I'll try and source a Kindle Fire myself. What hardware/software versions do you both have?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Xemik
Grafter

@bobpullen wrote:

@BaltiSalty & @Xemik, examination of the logs suggests that we are looking at a common cause.

Based on the crash signature, there's a working assumption that a particular device is not playing very nicely from a wi-fi power management/saving perspective. Is shouldn't cause the Hub to crash, but knowing that it does will aid investigation.

[snip]

I don't think the Hub crashes though. Isn't it more likely its system management is resetting the Hub because it's detected an issue with the wifi?

Which got me wondering if the culprit is the Amazon Kindle Fire tablet, because it seems to be a common factor for those of us having this issue.

Yep, that and the Sky+ box seem to be the common factors, so I'd start with them.

@BaltiSalty, not sure how that's likely to go down with the other half if she uses the Kindle every day? Wink

In the mean time I'll try and source a Kindle Fire myself. What hardware/software versions do you both have?

Ah, I'd forgotten about the Sky+. I have mentioned this as a suspect (either early on in the thread or with one of your colleagues on the phone). The Sky+ box defaults to an Eco power mode, which powers-off the box overnight if it's not being used. Since my Kindle Fire HD is never powered off (only put in sleep mode) it ties in very well with the wifi being lost in the early hours of the morning. Presumably, when the Sky+ box powers down.

Sky+ version is the latest build.

KFHD 7.5.1_user_5174320 (last build for the model)

KFHDX Fire OS 4.5.5.3

BaltiSalty
Hooked

@bobpullen wrote:

It would be really helpful if you can help isolate which device this might be (assuming the theory is correct of course)? Let me know if this suits? Needless to say, I'd need to move you both back to the 'bad' firmware.

Sky+

Model:    R020.088.33.00P

Ver. No:  4f3154

N/W ver: 1.05

KFHDX:  4.5.5.3 18/09/2018

Kindle e reader:  3.4.2 (2687240004)

The Sky+ box is currently setup for WiFi.  I can change it on Monday to wired if this helps to narrow things down.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@BaltiSalty & @Xemik, are you able to update the Kindles to 5.6.2, or is that build not available to you?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Xemik
Grafter

@bobpullen wrote:

@BaltiSalty & @Xemik, are you able to update the Kindles to 5.6.2, or is that build not available to you?

According to that link you provided both my Kindle Fires are on the last update for that model. Certainly the KFHD's update button is greyed out and unavailable.

BaltiSalty
Hooked

@bobpullen wrote:

5.6.2 is for 4th gen HDX.  Wife has a 3rd gen HDX which is up to date.  After interrogating her about usage, it is only powered down if there is an issue with an app, which is maybe every 1-2 weeks.

BaltiSalty
Hooked

@BaltiSalty wrote:

@bobpullen wrote:

5.6.2 is for 4th gen HDX.  Wife has a 3rd gen HDX which is up to date.  After interrogating her about usage, it is only powered down if there is an issue with an app, which is maybe every 1-2 weeks.

Wifi has been rock solid since the hub rebooted with the old firmware at 08:21 on 18/10/18.  Is there anything you want us to do to narrow things down?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@BaltiSalty, thanks for the clarification.

I'll give you a shout if there's anything you can help with.

Appreciate everybody's efforts so far Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mrutavicius
Hooked

@bobpullen Can i ask for some help? I have an issue that my 3rd party devices (phone, ps4 (less frequently), laptop etc) have connectivity issues and the connection times out after some time and i need to retoggle the connection to the hub itself. Sometimes the connection slows down to turtle speed and i need to restart the whole box. My firmware hasnt been updates since nov last year. Any ideas/fixes/updates?

20min_wait_zz
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I'm having exactly the same issue with my wireless dropping constantly since receiving a new hub running 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.
I use a 3rd generation kindle fire hdx running fire OS 4.5.5.3.
I've rebooted the hub several times today but have now turned off the wireless on the Kindle to see if that makes any difference
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@20min_wait_zz, sorry to hear you're having problems. I've grabbed the logs from your device for analysis. Can you keep an eye on things and let me know if switching the Kindle off has helped? I can offer a temporary workaround by downgrading your firmware, however I'm interested to know if switching the tablet off has improved the situation before I do.

@mrutavicius, your issue is likely to be related to something else as you're talking about a different firmware build. A quick glance at your network at the time of writing shows that all wifi devices have a decent signal with the exception of your Apple TV which is pretty weak. You may find some merit in splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels as explained here. 5GHz is faster but the reach is fairly limited. 2.4GHz is slower and farther-reaching, but more susceptible to interference if you're in a crowded wi-fi environment.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mrutavicius
Hooked

@bobpullen oh ok. but i live in a small house so im never really far away from router. the issue appears even if im 10-12 feet away from it. and theres always 3 rooms in particular that are affected - bathroom (lol), bedroom (which is above living room where router is) and kitchen. 

20min_wait_zz
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

@bobpullen I turned off the wireless on the fire HDX before last reboot of hub last night (approx 21:45). Absolutely no issue with wireless since then or today...since I had to do 10 reboots of hub yesterday, this seems like a smoking gun. If you need me to do any testing or anything else let me know