Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One Firmware update

bobmanekshaw
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Hub One Firmware update

Hi,

Have reset my router a couple of times now and left it before restoring my settings but still no sign of an update. Still get this sequence of messages every 8 hours.

02:44:22, 08 Oct. (203052.400000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 2 PERIODIC
02:08:15, 08 Oct. (200884.630000) CWMP: session closed before all requests were acked
02:08:14, 08 Oct. (200884.450000) CWMP: HTTP authentication success from https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo
02:08:12, 08 Oct. (200882.090000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
02:08:12, 08 Oct. (200882.080000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '7 TRANSFER COMPLETE,2 PERIODIC,4 VALUE CHANGE'

What woud you like me to do next? - Bob

Xemik
Grafter

@bobmanekshaw wrote:

What woud you like me to do next? - Bob

I recommend buying a new modem router. Angel

Thanks for all your help @bobpullen, but I decided to call time on this. I was never in doubt it was a problem with the HUB 1 and after many more wifi drops/resets over the weekend, I'd had enough. Initially, I intended to buy a wifi router to plug in to the Hub 1, since I believed it was borked wifi that as killing the Hub 1. However, the price differential was so trivial, it made no sense. Worse case was if a modem router didn't connect, I could use it as a wfiti router anyway. So, I bought a new Archer VR900, which arrived today; it's a cracking little powerhouse for the money.

For the past 4 or 5 mornings there's been no wifi until a wired device has connected and If you check my line for today you'll see many drops before 2-ish (on one occasion the Hub 1 managed to stay up for all of 20 minutes!). I installed the new VR900 around that time and the first reset is after I changed the router IP address. The one just now was because I rather stupidly plugged it in to the wrong power socket! Embarrassed I have a hard to reach one that is constant live & a power surge tower that is switched off over night. The VR900 was up for 7 or so hours before I swapped the power over.

It's been a frustrating four weeks since that fateful firmware update, but on the plus side, the minor fault on my line might never have been detected otherwise. So that got fixed at the weekend and I've now got a shiny new 5C faceplate on the main socket. Cool

So thanks again @bobpullen and sorry for baling on you. Now what do you want me to do with the original Hub 1?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Xemik, I'd like you to do two things if you'd be as kind as to help out?

1. Send one of your two devices that exhibited the problem back to me at the office. You'd need to cover the cost of postage, however, I'll happily apply more than enough credit to your account to cover the cost:
FAO: Bob Pullen
Plusnet
The Balance
2 Pinfold Street
Sheffield
S1 2GU

2. Assuming the second device exhibited the same issue (I believe it did?), arrange a time with me where it can be connected, suffer the same issue, and allow me to grab some logging from the device remotely. I can do this tomorrow or Thursday, I'm out on Friday.

I absolutely want to get to the bottom of what's causing this.

Thanks.

@bobmanekshaw, the firmware update needs to be pushed by me manually, so you'd need to factory reset and refrain from restoring until I've confirmed success. Failing that, I might be able to ship a device with updated firmware pre-installed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobmanekshaw
Grafter

Thanks @bobpullen - the problem is what days it can be left for extended periods of time without its settings. Is Thursday a good day for you during the day or Thursday evening?  Also, can I just confirm that doing a factory reset from the hub manager is adequate? Bob

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bobmanekshaw, Thursday should be OK, and I'd suggest using the pinhole at the rear rather than the Hub Manager. I'll look to push the update around 1pm tomorrow if that suits?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Xemik
Grafter

@bobpullen wrote:

1. Send one of your two devices that exhibited the problem back to me at the office. You'd need to cover the cost of postage, however, I'll happily apply more than enough credit to your account to cover the cost:

I'll return the newest, since I have the right box for that one and can send all the correct gubbins back with it. I assume Second Class Signed For will be sufficient?

2. Assuming the second device exhibited the same issue (I believe it did?), arrange a time with me where it can be connected, suffer the same issue, and allow me to grab some logging from the device remotely. I can do this tomorrow or Thursday, I'm out on Friday.

Thanks.

The new router has been up for a solid 12 hours now, so I don't want to disturb that today. Also, we're having a crisis at work; the transfer to a new, integrated Helpdesk system has failed. The old one is still working, but the new one seems to be trying to hijack the former's URL, which is causing untold confusion. Wink

But I am wondering what connecting the Hub 1 to the line will achieve. I assume it will have the logs up until I disconnected it yesterday and there's no telling how long it would stay up. 20 minutes? 90 minutes?

The past few days would suggest connecting and leaving it overnight. It lost wifi sometime during the early hours and reset once a wired connection was made c9:30am.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Xemik wrote:

@bobpullen wrote:

I'll return the newest, since I have the right box for that one and can send all the correct gubbins back with it. I assume Second Class Signed For will be sufficient?

That would be perfect, thank you.

Thanks.

The new router has been up for a solid 12 hours now, so I don't want to disturb that today. Also, we're having a crisis at work; the transfer to a new, integrated Helpdesk system has failed. The old one is still working, but the new one seems to be trying to hijack the former's URL, which is causing untold confusion. Wink

Understood. Work takes priority.

But I am wondering what connecting the Hub 1 to the line will achieve. I assume it will have the logs up until I disconnected it yesterday and there's no telling how long it would stay up. 20 minutes? 90 minutes?

We'd need to allow sufficient time for the problem to masquerade itself a couple of times and I'd need to know the approximate timestamps. I can then extract the associated logging over an SSH connection, but the device will need to be online for me to do that. It's a hassle, but I've a sneaking suspicion I'm not going to be able to replicate the issue once I receive the returned device.

Edit: almost forgot to ask - can you list all of the devices you have connected to your network, via what medium (wired/wireless) and where possible, what software version each is running?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobmanekshaw
Grafter

@bobpullen wrote:

@bobmanekshaw, Thursday should be OK, and I'd suggest using the pinhole at the rear rather than the Hub Manager. I'll look to push the update around 1pm tomorrow if that suits?

Thats great - I wil make sure its reset with the pin tomorrow morning so you can push the update over lunch time. - Cheers

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bobmanekshaw, I've just tried pushing the update, but it's failed again. I can't see any evidence that the device was factory reset this morning either? Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobmanekshaw
Grafter

Well it most certainly was reset with a pin around 10am before i ran out the door. I also power cycled it after i pin reset and i left the pin in for a good 5 secs then the lights flashed when i released it. I should have checked but i had already powered down the computers. Wont be back till later this afternoon if you eant to try 4:30ish?
Xemik
Grafter

@bobpullen wrote:

We'd need to allow sufficient time for the problem to masquerade itself a couple of times and I'd need to know the approximate timestamps. I can then extract the associated logging over an SSH connection, but the device will need to be online for me to do that. It's a hassle, but I've a sneaking suspicion I'm not going to be able to replicate the issue once I receive the returned device.

If you are agreeable, I'd rather wait till you get the router back and have a poke about in that. It may give you the info you need without disturbing my new setup. Obviously, if it doesn't I'll be happy to reconnect my original Hub 1.

Edit: almost forgot to ask - can you list all of the devices you have connected to your network, via what medium (wired/wireless) and where possible, what software version each is running?

I've created a list in Excel. I intend to print out and put in the box with the router. However, I've printed a PDF version, if you want me to PM you a copy.

I'm expecting to post the router later this afternoon.

ilchubby

Are you using an Apple device @Karl1985 ?

bobmanekshaw
Grafter

Definitely reset now. It needs my broadband passwords to connect. Obviously i didn't do it correcty this morning - sorry. It turns out the pin reset just does a restart and does not clear the setting unless you need to do some sort of funny masonic handshake at the same time!

Karl1985

Yes, these were apple devices dropping on and off
ilchubby

It is down to Apple in the same way as Apple is unable to establish https:// connection with websites.

It gets worse if you try using hidden WiFi connection with an apple devise.