cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One Firmware update

Karl1985

Plusnet Hub One Firmware update

I’m having problems with devices dropping off WIFI and thinking maybe it could be a FW issue... connection speeds are good, but the latest update is showing as over a year ago to release 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 ... is there a known issue with this FW? And is there a more recent version I can get upgraded to?
143 REPLIES 143
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Plusnet Hub One Firmware update

Hi @Karl1985

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'll let my colleague @bobpullen answer your query regarding the firmware of the router.

Just to confirm, there are no drops from this side and your connection looks fine. Can I confirm that you've exhausted all of the wifi troubleshooting here prior to raising the firmware query?

Best wishes,

Dave

Karl1985

hi,

Firstly, thanks for the response,

So I’ve tried multiple things, from channel changing to position of the router etc, but it mainly affects when I’m upstairs or in the kitchen (live in a small 2 bed terrace, so it’s not a huge space) and it’s all open plan downstairs.

I was reading something online about a FW fix in a newer version that stopped devices with lower signal dropping off entirely, so thought this may have been my issue?

Thanks
Karl
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Karl1985

Thanks for the update.

My colleague @bobpullen is the resident expert on firmware so I'll ask that he kindly updates your router and gives you an insight into the benefits (or otherwise) towards your wifi signal.

Best wishes,

Dave

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Newer firmware does have some wifi driver changes, but it's more to adhere to regulation rather than improve stability. The newer firmware is scheduled to be pushed to all over the coming month or two.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Xemik
Grafter

I hope they get a stable firmware update out very soon. I was updated to 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1 on 13-Sep and it's been a nightmare ever since. The router used to be up for days, weeks even, but after that firmware update it's lucky to manage an hour before resetting.

If there are several devices connected to wi-fi for an extended period the wifi will drop. Shortly afterwards the router will reset. It's clearly a wi-fi issues because the router doesn't reset overnight when nobody is using it. (All my devices - PS4/PC/music server - are wired, so I don't use wifi late at night.) However, as soon as people start using wi-fi in the morning the router will reset within the hour and constantly thereafter all day. 10+ resets per day is totally unacceptable.

I do have a support ticket out on this, but after 4 days of this nonsense I'm getting pretty annoyed.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Xemik

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry to hear that you've experienced drops in connection since the firmware update. I can see that we've raised this via a fault ticket with our suppliers here and are awaiting a response in terms of external factors (which we'll provide via the ticket as soon as we know more).

In the interim, my colleague @bobpullen may be able to offer some information regarding the firmware aspect of your query.

Best wishes,

Dave

Xemik
Grafter

Well I hope you do something soon, because i'm getting pretty brassed off!

It's now FIVE days since the firmware update messed up my router. 10+ resets a day is unacceptable. I can't play online any more because I keep getting kicked when the line drops.

I trust those of us who are affected by this firmware issues will be compensated for the hassle and downtime when it's fixed.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Xemik,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that the dropping connection issue is causing you. Once our faults team have confirmed that this is resolved they will arrange a pro-rata refund of your broadband subscription charges from the date that this issue was reported to us up to the date that it's resolved

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Xemik wrote:

I hope they get a stable firmware update out very soon. I was updated to 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1 on 13-Sep and it's been a nightmare ever since. The router used to be up for days, weeks even, but after that firmware update it's lucky to manage an hour before resetting.

This is concerning Undecided:

If there are several devices connected to wi-fi for an extended period the wifi will drop. Shortly afterwards the router will reset. It's clearly a wi-fi issues because the router doesn't reset overnight when nobody is using it. (All my devices - PS4/PC/music server - are wired, so I don't use wifi late at night.) However, as soon as people start using wi-fi in the morning the router will reset within the hour and constantly thereafter all day. 10+ resets per day is totally unacceptable.

So, does the router physically restart? i.e. does the status light go green momentarily? Is there anything telling in the logs? (Advanced > Continue > Troubleshooting > Event Log).

I'd like to try reverting you to a previous firmware build, however it may reset the device to default settings so any changes to things like wifi SSID's/passwords/port forwarding etc. will be lost. Would you be prepared try this?

Edit: For the sake of clarity, we are not aware of any issues like this that are caused by the latest firmware build. If there is something we're unaware of, then I'm very eager to get to the bottom of it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Xemik
Grafter

@bobpullen wrote:

So, does the router physically restart? i.e. does the status light go green momentarily? Is there anything telling in the logs? (Advanced > Continue > Troubleshooting > Event Log).

I'd like to try reverting you to a previous firmware build, however it may reset the device to default settings so any changes to things like wifi SSID's/passwords/port forwarding etc. will be lost. Would you be prepared try this?

Edit: For the sake of clarity, we are not aware of any issues like this that are caused by the latest firmware build. If there is something we're unaware of, then I'm very eager to get to the bottom of it.

Yes, the router restarts. Light goes Green, then Blue. Then Orange, Flashing Orange for a 20+ seconds. Usually the No Broadband light will come on and eventually I'll get Blue again. Occasionally, the light will stay at Flashing Orange requiring me to turn off the router.

Extract from Boot log:

12:30:39, 18 Sep. ( 33.660000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1
12:30:24, 18 Sep. ( 19.040000) System start
11:00:38, 18 Sep. ( 33.990000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1
11:00:23, 18 Sep. ( 19.230000) System start
11:00:23, 18 Sep. ( 19.230000) Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x2)

Most entries are as per the 12:30 entry. Occasionally there's a TR069 entry thrown in.

There's nothing in System for DOWN for Reboot other than when I've had to do it manually.

I'd be delighted to go back to the previous firmware. Settings aren't a problem (I have a backup), but I know them anyway. Wink I always change the router network address and SSID/password, for security reasons.

I find it odd that this issue hasn't been brought up, because I 'found' this forum when I did a a search for that firmware version.

Today I observed an oddity. I've already said the router doesn't reset unless several people are using wifi, but this morning the wifi was down for 30+ minutes and nothing wired was in use. My wife was pretty annoyed that she couldn't use her phone. I checked one of my devices to confirm that wifi was dead, then fired up my PC to log in to the router. The router immediately restarted when my PC made the network connection, restoring wifi.

Observations suggests that:
1. Multiple wifi devices kills wifi, but not the router. When wifi is 'dead' router remains up

2. When wifi is 'dead', router remains up, until a wired devices connects, then restarts.

3. Wired devices work fine until multiple devices connect to wifi, then the router restarts.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm fairly confident what you're seeing isn't a widespread issue. There are a fair few devices running your firmware build and this is the first report of anything like this I've seen.

We could be looking at a failed update that has b0rked the kernel somehow. The watchdog reset warning would suggest this might be the case.

Let me see if I can revert the firmware build from here...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Xemik
Grafter

While searching for a solutions myself, I found one thread on a BT forum complaining of a disconnects with this firmware, but most were to do with an earlier version 232.1.1 (IIRC) which exhibited the same issue I'm having.

I did occur to me that the update may have failed & put the router in a state of limbo. Is it possible tor re-apply the update? Trouble is, failed firmware updates can brick a device can't they?

PS LOL As I was typing this, I decided to check the log & couldn't log on to the router. I sussed that you'd done the revert and logged in on the default address. and can see it's currently 237.2.2. Of course, no wifi device is logged on, so I'll re-enter the SSID etc and report back. (Although, you'll probably know before me. Wink )

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

yes, sorry. The firmware has been reverted to 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2. I thought I'd replied but now realise I'd neglected to click the 'Post' button!

Let me know how you get on. If the device is still failing as described before, then I'd suggest we look at getting a replacement out to you. If it isn't, then I reckon we try the upgrade again.

I don't expect the newer firmware to have introduced any bugs evident in an old BT build.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Xemik
Grafter

It's been stable since the update. If you check you'll see one reset, but this was while I was tinkering with settings, so it was probably just in response to that.

Re earlier BT firmware update: I just mentioned it because it shows there's a precedence of a firmware update breaking a router. Wink But as you said, it's likely to be that a firmware update didn't complete properly given that few people had the problem.

Assuming you push through the update again, I trust it won't reset the settings this time. The first try didn't, but the rollback seemed to have upset the NAS backup software and it threw away my schedule! Yeah, seems odd, but the NAS couldn't connect to the network (it's on a fixed address well outside the pool) and all my device names had been changed to the default, Sometimes it feels like networking is a dark art!