cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One Firewall - Allowed Ports

dmwarren2
Hooked

Plusnet Hub One Firewall - Allowed Ports

Hi, could someone please point out what I'm misunderstanding here...

When I have the firewall on the Plusnet Hub One switched on (default) it correctly blocks requests to it such as SSH (on port 22).

However it seems like certain ports remain open to inbound traffic e.g. 4900 will still end up at my server which is listening for it?
(I also have UPnP disabled if this affects matters).

-Even if this is the correct behaviour I would like to block this port from being allowed beyond the firewall.

3 REPLIES 3
dmwarren2
Hooked

Re: Plusnet Hub One Firewall - Allowed Ports

Not had much help here.
I'm, going to conclude the Hub One firewall does not work properly 😕

Does any one have experience using a separate router and using the Hub One as just a modem? Any recommendations appreciated.

Convin_Illusion
Dabbler

Hi

I just received my new Hub One as I upgrade to fibre and I have been checking it out and 'configuring' it and been deeply uninpressed [to the extent that I am working out a complaint due to the epic number of security failings] with it.
The two biggest most glaring in the face ones being that it doesn't use HTTPS for the web interface and that it shows you everything connected to it in the freaking splash page including MAC numbers and IP addresses before you even log in.
The amount of what the [expletive deleted] that caused when I discovered that... And it basically went down-hill from there.

What I would like if I could afford the damn thing is this...

https://www.routersecurity.org/pepwavesurfsofo.php

Which is about £200 ~£220 on Amazon.
Which is amazingly cheap for a properly secure buisness grade router.

The site above does a good job explaining why it is you don't want a consumer router.

And has a nice security checklist for if you are looking to buy a router... Although good luck trying to figure out whether any given router has most of these features because no tech reveier gives a damn about security.
https://www.routersecurity.org/checklist.php

I can't speak from experience as an owner, but that's my wishlist router.
As it is I'm planning to try to get Plusnet to do the decent thing and make their current offering a little less [expletive deleted].

If seeing is beleiving... Then what happens when what you're seing is an Illusion?
dmwarren2
Hooked

Hi Convin_Illusion, thanks so much for your response.

I read some of your other posts regarding the lack of general internet device security and it all seems like good stuff.

I will look more closely into the routers you have recommended, please let me know if you make a different purchase in the meantime and I'll follow suit.

Just at a high level for the configuration - I am assuming I would connect my new 'business grade' router to one of the ethernet ports on the Hub One. I would then disable the hub one's firewall entirely so all traffic into my LAN would come through my new router (to which all my devices would be connected). --> Would this setup cause a bottle-neck due to the fact I would only be utilising 1 of the Hub One's ethernet ports? as opposed to 4.

Originally I just wanted clarification from Plusnet on what this firewall was supposed to do - and an explanation as to why they claim it was still working correctly. It seems however they had no support to offer me over use of the Hub One. It feels like a salesman handing me the product then saying "Do not ask me what its meant to do or how to use it.". Terrible.