cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One | Edit (delete) static IP addresses

damole
Dabbler

Plusnet Hub One | Edit (delete) static IP addresses

I have a Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

Yesterday I decided to set all the most used devices to static IP addresses. The Android TV box I am using stopped connecting to the router producing an ip configuration address failure error.  Now I want to delete the entry for the Android TV box but only connected devices seem to show up in either Home Network devices and DHCP table.

Is there a way to see all the static addresses which have been reserved?

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Plusnet Hub One | Edit (delete) static IP addresses

@damole 

Where did you set the fixed address? normally it's set at the device, not the router so you should find it at the TV end of the network.It might not be visible at your Hub as there is no valid connection set up.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

damole
Dabbler

I set it in the router advanced settings home network. Click on any device and you can change the name, ip  address and static/dhcp under devices or dhcp.

PlusNetHubOneStaticAddress.JPG

archerry
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The firmware on that modem/router is horrible. For some reason the DHCP server does not release and re-apply settings as and when they saved/applied. I had no end of fun when I first applied fixed addresses on the Plusnet hub One, and another forum member had similar trouble.
It should just work, as it does with the OpenWRT firmware on the same hardware.
The simplest solution on the Plusnet Hub One is to follow Baldrick1's advice and set a fixed IP address on each device - outside the range used by the modem/router.

Regards,
Alistair

damole
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies.

I set the box with a different static address and I was able to connect and delete both the router set static ip entry and the device set static entry.  Reboot both router and device and set manually on the TV box and it works.

Usually I set my devices with MAC address on my routers so that the devices work normally on other DHCP networks regardless of IP address range.

I did try a TP-LINK Archer VR2100 a few months ago but it was very unreliable so I sent it back.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I was playing with a raspberry pi, thought I'd fix it's IP by setting it on the router.

WRONG SOLUTION! Needless to say it didn't work!

I gave up, and ended up doing it on the pi!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@damole 

If you 'fix' an IP address in a router all that you are doing is locking a device's IP address to thet router. So after a power cycle the devices will reconnect using the same IP addresses. However if you need to factory reset or  change the router all the settings will need to be set again.

If you set them in the device then they are properly fixed and will only need to be changed if you use a different make of router that uses a different range of fixed IP addresses.. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

damole
Dabbler

Let's say my home network uses the ip range 172.16.99.1 - 172.16.99.255

I fix the ip adress in my laptop's adapter config to 172.16.99.50 and the gateway to 172.16.99.1

I now take my laptop to my friend's house where the router ip range is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255

Now my laptop doesn't connect to the network.

I always backup my router settings.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @damole 

This is what happens when you give your device a fixed IP address rather than using DHCP, two choices.

1) set the device to DHCP

2) change the local IP address to a 192.168.1.0/24 address where /24 is the network mask of 255.255.255.0

BTW 192.168.1.255/24  is the broadcast address and can not be used.

Hope this helps

Dan

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

I would call the process of setting IP addresses on a router for a particular device "IP address reservation".

Assuming the  "IP address reservation" works properly on the router (persists) whenever the device requests an IP address via DHCP it is issued with the same one.

For domestic networks with a significant number of devices this has been my preferred approach as I found setting the IP address on a device all a bit of a faff (also keeping my records accurate so I could tell what I have done was becoming a chore).

Having said that, I'm not attempting this on a Hub One but if I were using a Hub One I think I would stick to the same approach.

I am the satisfied customer....