cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One Drops Out

skippy30

Plusnet Hub One Drops Out

Hi,

I have just transferred from BT to Plusnet and while I am happy with the speed, the wi-fi signal drops out making it very difficult to work from home.

Is it a faulty router? Are there any tricks I can do in the settings? I have read a few blogs and it appears to be a regular problem.

16 REPLIES 16
Walter
Rising Star

Re: Plusnet Hub One Drops Out

I have the same problem. Have raised this thro the Help Support but there is no link to find my help questions. Seem to go round in circles getting nowhere. There is no email response giving me a link either so I have to go online and repeat all those damm circuitous links eventually getting nowhere. Note, there is no chat either today.

The issue, I  is that my wifi device gets blocked when under sleep or been inactive for a while. I have repeatedly to switch off the wifi manager on device and them switch back on to waken up the system.

i have submitted the router log and wonder if there is anyone capable of understanding it.  I have had one suggestion to reset to manufacturers setting which I will try as I am getting nowhere.

Still suspect it is the router (Hub One)

Walter
Rising Star

Further to above I have found ("Help Assistant")  https://www.plus.net/wizard/

Someone must be paying attention!

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
skippy30

Thanks for the link, but I cannot find anything on there to help me. I'll keep searching!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting in touch @skippy30 I'm sorry to see you're experiencing wireless problems.

Can you try changing the wireless channel in your router settings explained Here and also split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, there's instructions Here letting us know how it goes? 

Thanks for getting in touch @Walter To my eye the router log you've provided on your ticket is just your router's firewall doing it's job and isn't anything which would be impacting the WiFi performance of your router. Can you try the above steps too?

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Walter
Rising Star

Thanks Gandalf, yes I have an app showing me the channel strength and accupancy and I had chosen a quiet channel.

I've bitten the bullet and did a factory reset, got bogged down with different passwords etc. Seems steady now on DHCP and Auto channel/ I'll try this for a few days and see if there has been an improvement.

Is there a log on the router regaring connects/disconnects errors etc?

Already I've had similar drop outs *Cant resolve host, no internet connection etc.

Walter
Rising Star

Again, problem "resolving host"

"DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET"

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Walter,

I have checked your wireless settings and I can't see that the wifi bands have been split, the channels are also on 'Auto'. We would recommend you to split the two bands and see if it makes a difference.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices to for a stronger signal.

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Walter
Rising Star

Router Wifi settings - "Hub One dropping out."

Thanks Beyhive for a comprehensive appraisal which is  so helpful I dare say for others as well as myself.
Following a reset router to factory settings I am following your guidance:

Have separated the 2.4 / 5 GHz Bands and renamed each.

I have been watching the channel occupancy and moved on to channel 12 (2.4G) which is clear of my neighbours and a better channel rating (at present)
I only have one 5GHz device which is my smart phone on which I do use the Wifi  daily. I seems to be the only occupant there and 'Auto' has set  the best signal on ch42 plumb in the middle in the middle of the band. I logged my phone to the new SSID for 5Ghz.

To help others the address I had to use for Hub One Router was http://192.168.1.254 and avoid a confusing Google search.

[  BTW, I have been so frustrated for many months particularly using my HP250 laptop which I prefer for serious use, I have also reinstalled the operating system to flush out any bugs interfering therein and got back to a 'factory reset ' equivalent there, together with and the latest versions of apps  (Network Manager) too. So far so good despite the additional effort. ]

Once again many thanks.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@skippy30 

Do you still have your BT Hub? If it's a Smarthub 6 use that instead of the Hub One, which is a BT Home Hub 5A in a different coloured case and with tweeked firmware. Setting instructions are here:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Walter
Rising Star

Hi Skippy my (fibre T.C.) router was supplied by Plusnet and is the Hub One (dual band 'ac'
skippy30

Hi Baldrick, I sent my BT Hub back, so will have to stick with the Hub One Sad

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@skippy30 

That's a shame. Many have abandoned their Hub One and bought a Smarthub 6 from the likes of Ebay as it's a superior bit of kit.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

skippy30

@Baldrick1  I might just do the same!! 😉