Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One - Advanced Configuration Questions

jewelie
Dabbler

Plusnet Hub One - Advanced Configuration Questions

Hi

I'm thinking about moving from TalkTalk to Plusnet and have a few questions regarding the router, as I've quite a complicated set-up that I don't want to have to mess around with too much-

• Am I right in believing the new router has 4 x 1Gb Ethernet ports?
  • Can you configure reserved fixed IP addresses on the local/home network (e.g. so the DHCP server gives out known/fixed local IP addresses to known MACs and random ones from a block for unknown MACs)?
  • Is there a limit on the number of reserved IP addresses you can have?
  • I gather there's a USB socket on the back for, e.g. a hard drive?
  • Can this be used for Windows File Sharing (aka Samba/SMB)?
  • Can this be DNLA/uPNP-style media sharing?
  • How reliable is the Media Sharing, does it have any daft limitations (like 100 files maximum limit, or doesn't recognise common file types, or doesn't talk with common equipment.)
  • I assume it has port forwarding, DMZ and all the usual stuff?
  • How reliable is the Wi-Fi for e.g. game streaming?  (TalkTalk's HG635 suffers common noise burst problems which can really mess up Steam streaming over Wi-Fi.)
  • Anything else unusual about the router I should know?

Finally, a non-router question.  I'm old Demon Internet stock, so like having online forums where I can talk geek with online customer service representatives when there are problems.  What is online support like in that respect?  How empowered to fix problems are the online reps?  Smiley  

Warm Regards

Julie

xxx

1 REPLY 1
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Plusnet Hub One - Advanced Configuration Questions

The router is basically a BT Home Hub 5 Type A (without FON) so any internet information for the BT HH5 is applicable.

I don't have one so cannot comment on how it works in real life.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT