I'm thinking about moving from TalkTalk to Plusnet and have a few questions regarding the router, as I've quite a complicated set-up that I don't want to have to mess around with too much-
- Am I right in believing the new router has 4 x 1Gb Ethernet ports?
- Can you configure reserved fixed IP addresses on the local/home network (e.g. so the DHCP server gives out known/fixed local IP addresses to known MACs and random ones from a block for unknown MACs)?
- Is there a limit on the number of reserved IP addresses you can have?
- I gather there's a USB socket on the back for, e.g. a hard drive?
- Can this be used for Windows File Sharing (aka Samba/SMB)?
- Can this be DNLA/uPNP-style media sharing?
- How reliable is the Media Sharing, does it have any daft limitations (like 100 files maximum limit, or doesn't recognise common file types, or doesn't talk with common equipment.)
- I assume it has port forwarding, DMZ and all the usual stuff?
- How reliable is the Wi-Fi for e.g. game streaming? (TalkTalk's HG635 suffers common noise burst problems which can really mess up Steam streaming over Wi-Fi.)
- Anything else unusual about the router I should know?
Finally, a non-router question. I'm old Demon Internet stock, so like having online forums where I can talk geek with online customer service representatives when there are problems. What is online support like in that respect? How empowered to fix problems are the online reps?