Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One Access Point Disconnected

tannaroo
Dabbler

Plusnet Hub One Access Point Disconnected

Hi all,

I followed this guide (https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/td-p/138...) to setup my spare Hub One as a Wireless Access Point upstairs in our house as my main router is downstairs and the signal is weak for upstairs.

It was working great for a few days. All upstair devices were connecting and my computer was directly connected into the ethernet ports.

Then I accidently turned off the Hub One router on the power wall. When I switched it back on, I have ust have problems. Firstly, the ethernet connection from my computer says 'Unidentified Network' and wont connect.

Also, all of the wifi devices connect but says no internet. Tried rebooting everything but still have an issue with the Hub One/Wireless Access Point.

As soon as I switch off the Hub One/Wireless Access Point, everything upstairs works again albeit the signal is weak.

Can anyone please advise why the Hub One is not working as a WAP?

29 REPLIES 29
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet Hub One Access Point Disconnected

Hi welcome to the forums, just a thought have you checked that DHCP is switched off on the router that you want to use as a access point ?

tannaroo
Dabbler

The DHCP Server is set to No on the Hub One.

tannaroo
Dabbler

Just wondering if the main router is somehow blocking the wireless access point and what I can do to check on the main router?

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

The router may have reverted back to default settings, try setting it up again.

tannaroo
Dabbler

When you say 'router' you mean the one set up as a wireless access point?

I've logged in that wireless access point (Hub One) and all of the settings are per the guide and as I set it up initially, so nothing has changed on the Hub One.

Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Just to confirm DCHP is enabled on the main router and disabled on the one you want to use as a access point.

You could try switching everything off then first switch on the main router followed by the access point allowing both units too boot fully first followed by all your other devices that way each device gets a new ip address, i think there may be an ip conflict somewhere, just a thought.    

tannaroo
Dabbler

Yes DCHP enabled on main router and disabled on access point per the guide.

Will try second suggestion.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@tannaroo 

Have you checked that the AP IP address is still set to 192.168.1.10?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

tannaroo
Dabbler

Yes, I have logged in into the wireless access point with the new IP address. Also checked all the settings according to the guide and they are correct. It seems the issue is not the wireless access point but perhaps the main router or a conflict?

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Have you checked the main router to see what range the ip addresses are then make sure the AP has one of those ip 's

tannaroo
Dabbler

On the main router, the DHCP server range is set between 192.168.1.100 and 192.1.168.249 but the wireless access point is set at 192.168.1.10 but is within the main router overall range of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254 - if that is what you mean?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I can see why turning off/on either unit MAY possibly affect wifi if one or both of the units are on automatic channel setting, in that they may now be using the same channel and interfering. I can't see how a wired connection to the WAP unit is affected though.

Try running ipconfig (assuming Windows) on a PC connected wired to the WAP, does it show an IP address in the 192.168.1.100 to .253 range with a default gateway of 192.168.1.254 ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tannaroo
Dabbler

I will the channel selection and make sure they are different. I think they might be on auto.

Regarding the ipconfig question, the wireless access point is outside of the range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.253. It is set to 192.168.1.10

I thought wireless access points needed to be set outside of the main routers DHCP server to avoid such conflicts?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

You are correct, but you misunderstand what Im asking you to check.

What I am asking is for you to check that a PC on a wired connection to the WAP is actually getting an IP address and gateway via DHCP from the main HUB one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.