Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One 5Ghz WiFi Disconnects ALL devices

bellaf
Dabbler

Plusnet Hub One 5Ghz WiFi Disconnects ALL devices

Hi all,

O.K. So have read many articles on here about issues with 5Ghx WiFi on the Hub One router.  I have been wrestling for several weeks now with these issues, and this evening I observed it as it happened.  I was logged into the router monitoring all Home Network devices (most devices are on the 2.4Ghz band, my Amazon Echo's are on the 5Ghz. as well as iPhone 6)  I noticed that ALL devices connected to the 5Ghz band suddenly disconnected (Asking Alexa if she was there, my usual "test") responding with Red ring and "Sorry I am having trouble connecting to the internet".  I waited for several minutes, still the 5Ghz connections didnt come back, and the Iphone 6, after forgetting the 5G link and re-connecting reports: Incorrect password for network... XYZ.... 

Events leading to this have been all the suggested ones from various threads, culminating yesterday in a complete Factory reset, and then added devices, separated the WiFi channels (Different SSID's, which is as before), it was sort of fine, until this evening when all the devices disconnected again....

My Phone line recently was diagnosed as "dead" no dial tone, and this fault was repaired very promptly by Open Reach (Thanks guys!)  and my Broadband speed returned to normal again, I don't know if this has bearing, but it was bad before the line dead, and is still bad after the line has been fixed, so perhaps not....

Details from the Help desk menu in the router is as follows:

1. Product name:

Plusnet Hub

2. Serial number:

+081441+NQ53922624

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 27/01/19

4. Board version:

Plusnet Hub One

5. DSL uptime:

1 days, 01:43:30

6. Data rate:

9999 / 38171

7. Maximum data rate:

22466 / 74353

8. Noise margin:

13.9 / 14.9

9. Line attenuation:

17.0 / 14.4

10. Signal attenuation:

16.9 / 14.4

11. Data sent/received:

153.0 MB / 977.5 MB

12. Broadband username:

xxxxxxxxxxxx

13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

PLUSNET-G3MF

14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:

Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))

15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

PLUSNET-G3MF-5G

18. 5 GHz Wireless connections:

Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))

19. 5 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

20. 5 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

21. Firewall:

22. MAC Address:

8c:10:d4:1a:d2:9c

23. Modulation:

G.993.2 Annex B

24. Software variant:

AA

25. Boot loader:

I have a sneaking suspicion this has been happening for many , many weeks and months, as before the start of last week my 2.4G and 5G wifi links were "sync'd"  so hadn't really noticed, but split them last weekend to allow my son to play on-line gaming and reduce his "ping" times..  he he.... but I have been vaguely aware of 5G issues before, but the devices I was using simply re-connected to the 2.4G network seamlessly so payed it no attention, its only since separating the wireless bands apart I have nailed it to 5Ghz...

I really hope someone can assist here, I don't want to point the finger at a faulty router so early, but I think I have covered most of the bases already, happy to answer anything specific (yes, I have turned it off and on again 🙂 )

Update: Just accessed the router admin pages, turned off the 5Ghz wireless, waited, then swithced the wireless back on again, and all devices re-connected....

Many thanks, in advance for any assistance...

Tony

31 REPLIES 31
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Plusnet Hub One 5Ghz WiFi Disconnects ALL devices

Your firmware updated at the end of Jan. Do your problems coincide with that Tony?
Are you able to provide a description of your network topology? i.e what devices you have connected and how (wired/wireless). Whether or not you have any Powerline adapters, attached storage, switches or extenders in use etc.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bellaf
Dabbler

Good evening Bob,

O.k. So I have a single PC, a Raspberry Pi3, various Home Cinema systems (all off at present) and a couple of other devices connected via the Wired Ethernet ports, several un-managed hub type ethernet switches etc to fan those links out, but nothing very complex (I work in a Data Centre!)

Most devices are Sonoff, IOT devices connected WiFi to 2.4Ghz, no issues, plus several iPhones and an iPad, all now connected to 2.4Ghz while I try and resolve this issue.  No powerline devices, repeaters, Wireless extenders etc etc, just the one Hub One.

As to whether the Firmware update in Jan is a suspicious thing, I don't believe it is, as I have experienced issues with the 5G on my iPhone devices, but put them down to the distance I was away from the router (but thats not a huge distance in my house, as the crow flies, its only 20 Meters, through one wall...), so didn't pay it any attention, especially as I had the two wireless bands Synced together, so these devices seamlessly switched to the 2.4Ghz band.  Only recently (after the January F/W Upgrade) have I separated the bands to try and accomodate my son's gaming habbits....and resolve his "ping" response time issues, but suspect most of THAT was down to the degraded broadband speed while my phone line was dead, (it was probably dead for a few weeks before noticing it, I dont use the landline much these days)...

Hope this gives some background....

Tony 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

The only suggestion I can think of is to slow the connection speed down between the '5GHz' devices and the Hub - (upper part of posted image - red arrow) - then see if these devices still disconnect. Maybe someone at Plusnet could try it first....?

The other reason for posting, is more aimed at Bob to pass the following onto whomever writes the Hub help pages. The options for interface type (under the sub heading 5GHz Wireless) don't tally with the help pages!

https://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105 or the other range https://172.16.0.1/index.cgi?active_page=9105

(upper part of image)

https://192.168.1.254/help.htm#A_W_5G or the other range https://172.16.0.1/help.htm#A_W_5G

(lower part of image)

one must be wrong.PNG

It's the same for the 2.4Ghz pages, but that's only the up to 144 M/bs and up to 150 M/bs that don't match.

(I know it's not important, just pointing it out)

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, a/n 450mbps assumes 3 antenna, and there are only 2. Unless I'm mistaken, that needs correcting. Whilst 'up to' isn't false, it's a bit misleading Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

DS
Seasoned Champion

Not that I was one of the first to get my grubby mitts on the then new BTHH5, open it (without damaging it) and taking a peak Roll_eyes I don't recall 3 in use. I do know they're omnidirectional.

450mbps assumes 3 antenna

PNH2 / PN Smart Hub, perhaps...?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yes, SH2 is 3 x 4. BTHH5/Hub One is 2 x 3.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

DS
Seasoned Champion

PNH2 / PN Smart Hub, perhaps...?

I was actually alluding to Plusnet's future offerings Wink

So, is that a yes, there could be one on the drawing board?

Could what we've established be leading to a reason....?

IIRC, these Hub's, whether it's a BTHH2/3/4/5 or a PNH1, will drop all devices connecting to it to the speed of the slowest connected device. Is it possible that during a 'blip', it's dropping to 802.11 an (up to 450 M/bs) which isn't an option so the hub gets confused and drops them from the WiFi?

eg. iPhone connecting at 1300 M/bs would actually run at the speed of a laptop, say 400 1000 M/bs. Thus as the latter can't run as fast as the iPhone and 400 1000 M/bs isn't an option, they both go down (to up to 450 M/bs) and the hub drops them.

(I think that makes sense)

edit, bad choice of figures.

bellaf
Dabbler

Morning Bob, don’t know what happened, can’t find my response I’m sure I posted last night. So briefly, topology is: raspberry pi3 and a pc or two connected to wired Ethernet ports, as well as a slew of home cinema kit (turned off, so not significant) on the wireless: 7/8 Sonoff IOT devices , phones and tablets (Apple) mostly connected to 2.4g. Although have been trying to use the Apple devices on 5g. And 4 Amazon echo’s that we’re connected to 5g, but since they all dropped off, re connected them on 2.4g. Finally there are no extenders, repeaters or other devices. Just the hub one as router.... Hope this helps....
DS
Seasoned Champion

don’t know what happened, can’t find my response I’m sure I posted last night.

The forum spam filter can sometimes grab our post(s). When our fellow customers (forum mods) see it, they will release it.

raspberry pi3

I'm sure Bob has been dealing with another customer who's also using one of these. IIRC, Bob couldn't replicate the issue - I'm sure he'll correct me.

tablets (Apple) mostly connected to 2.4g. Although have been trying to use the Apple devices on 5g.

Again IIRC, the 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 firmware introduced this Apple issue, the newer one should have fixed this. I think is was however the 5g that most reports were made about....?

But don't quote me on the above, just thinking out loud

Stuffed my above reply too - 2x 2.4GHz and 3x 5GHz. It was late and I was running on fumes!! Sad

Reducing speed, to slow down the 5GHz devices' speed to the hub still might be worth looking at.

SilentWight
Dabbler

Hi,

I have just joined Plusnet, but after testing the Hub One router (wireless side) pretty disappointing in a large house compared to my TPlink Archer C7 even though that is not the latest bit of kit.

Only thing I can suggest is setting channel numbers manually after using channel analyser tool you can download to your phone or Ipad.

However, I strongly suggest to get (or borrow) your own WIFI router and turn Wifi off on the Hub One completely and see if that makes any difference.   

Maybe one of your friends has one you can borrow and then you can decide if you get an VDSL WifFi router or just a WiFi router.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bellaf thanks.

I've extracted some logging from your device, however it would be useful to have a few dates/timestamps of roughly when devices all lost 5GHz connectivity?

If you haven't done so already, it's also probably worth you trying a factory reset just to rule out any software/memory corruption.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bellaf
Dabbler

HI Bob, thanks, O.K> so it must have been between 16:00 and 18:00 on the 5th.....

And I have already done full factory reset on the router over the weekend..... 

Currently have the 5G Wireless turned off, all devices performing well on 2.4G.....

Many thanks

DS
Seasoned Champion

So I've had a play too.

Note

• SSID for the 2.4GHz is (for the sake of posting) abcdef
  • SSID for the 5GHz was (eg) abcdef5ghz
  • Wireless key for 2.4 is (eg) 123456
  • Wireless key for 5 is (eg) 1234565ghz
  • PNH1 has been powered up since August of last year, though connection has not
  • I do not, afaik, have an issue with 2.4

All of the following has been within the last hour previous 2 hours, as got kicked for forum maintenance!

Connected phone to 5GHz and was able to view an app, once and once only, it then kept dropping and reconnecting.

This was the eventual message

5ghz bbc.PNG

(note signal strength)

I forgot the network on the device

I then, via the hub settings, renamed the 5GHz SSID to 5GHz WiFi and changed the wireless key (for 5GHz) from 1234565ghz to 5ghz123456, in case the same beginning on both SSIDs or passkeys were 'at fault'.

As I connected:

Had to refresh page on router, but the PNH1 saw this new connection

5ghz.PNG

The device saw a connection

5ghz strength.PNG

Again only able to browse BBC (to test) once and once only, the device then continued to loop in a connecting state.

The device then continually tried to connect to the WiFi, without any success at all

5ghz lost.PNG

(note minus figure for link speed, this could be device, though would have thought it'd be 0Mbps)

As nothing I tried would allow me to connect to the router via the 5GHz, I forgot network and went back to 2.4GHz = Browsing the app then worked fine.

So, could the routers uptime be playing a part as I've seen others state switching the router off and on cures theirs, even if it is for a short time. < end missing due to maintenance and now can't remember what I previously wrote Sad >

bellaf
Dabbler

Hi Bob, so my router has been running now with the 5Ghz wireless disabled, all working O.K> at present, but logged a ticket call yesterday as wasnt able to get loggedd in on this forum to see what was happeneing, mentioned this thread, and the chap said, no problem, will get another router dispatched.  So just waiting for that to arrive and will see if it alters anything....  will keep all posted....