cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub 2 bridge mode - possible to get line stats?

FIXED
jeffers
Grafter

Plusnet Hub 2 bridge mode - possible to get line stats?

I'm about to setup my hub 2 in bridge mode (connected to an openwrt box) but I'm wondering if its possible to still connect to it to pull stats about sync speed? Most routers will still respond on a pre-configured IP address when in bridge mode. Is this the case on the hub 2? Documentation on bridge mode seems almost non-existent Sad

40 REPLIES 40
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Plusnet Hub 2 bridge mode - possible to get line stats?

Fix

I believe it will respond ( probably on its default IP address 192.168.1.254 ) to a client connected to one of its LAN ports. However its DHCP server is disabled so you will need to set a static IP ( in the 192.168.1.x subnet ) on the client

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jeffers
Grafter

Yep, it does respond on whichever IP it had before bridge mode was enabled, its managed to keep an IP on a different subnet which is perfect for me. I added a static IP on my wan interface and can reach it from my openwrt box. Thanks @MisterW 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yep, it does respond on whichever IP it had before bridge mode was enabled

Thanks, that's useful info. I had assumed it would revert to its default but it seems not.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I used a different approach.

For bridge mode you connect any LAN port of the Hub two to the WAN port of your router.

I then connected another LAN port of the Hub Two to a LAN port of the router.

I gave a PC a second IP address in the Hub Two network range.

For this to work the Hub Two and Routers network ranges must not be the same, in my case 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.10.0/24

jeffers
Grafter

Yep, that would work too, in my case I just added a secondary IP to the wan interface (so theres one pppoe and one static IP) and saves myself and ethernet cable Wink

Annoyingly the stats from the hub 2 no longer include the DSL sync speed in the output, which kinda defeats the object for me Sad

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I am unable to add a static IP address to my router.

Yes, the viewable data is a bit restricted, also the date/time will be wrong in the event of power cut, restarts at 01 Oct 00:00.

One positive  you can turn off the led if you want 🙂

jeffers
Grafter

After a bit more digging I can see the "Maximum data rate" on the "technical log" page (/helpdesk.htm) but the actual "data rate" fields are empty. Checking the javascript being returned when the browser views the page (globals.js) I can see the actual values..

var current_linestatus=[{state:'UP',mode:'VDSL2',mod_type:'Profile%2017a',snr_margin_down:'60',snr_margin_up:'78',latn_down:'175',latn_up:'87',satn_down:'227',satn_up:'87',output_power_down:'133',output_power_up:'75',rate_down:'69827',rate_up:'19999',attainable_rate_down:'70628000',attainable_rate_up:'22394000',chantype:'fast'},
null];

they must be hiding the values elsewhere in the js. I'll knock a script up to monitor it Smiley

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@jeffers can you do me a favour and post screenshots of both the Advanced Settings > Broadband and Advanced Settings > Technical Log (and any other areas of the GUI where you'd expect to see the DSL data rate)?

I'm of the opinion that this information should still be exposed and it shouldn't be too tricky to achieve if like you say - the detail is being returned in the javascript.

I can think of any reason it would have been intentionally obscured to be honest so will look into getting that behaviour 'corrected'.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jeffers
Grafter

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

My guess would be that since there's no PPPoE connection ( which there wouldn't be in bridge mode ) then the gui isnt bothering to show the connection data. As Bob say's, it looks like a firmware bug.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@jeffers - thanks. Now raised for investigation/consideration.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rmappleby
Grafter

Hi @jeffers did you ever write those scripts to monitor the line stats? I have the same setup as you (OpenWRT router running the Hub2 in bridge mode, with an extra static IP on the WAN device) and would be love to be able to avoid reinventing the wheel if you got it all working.

Thanks
RIchard

rmappleby
Grafter

In response to my own post, @jeffers has posted details of his script here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Monitoring-Hub-two-line-stats/m-p/1871416

jeffers
Grafter

Sorry, it seems forum notifications have stopped working. Glad you found it, let me know if I can help with anything Smiley