cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Access Control being overridden through Password Override

MarkH2
Hooked

Plusnet Access Control being overridden through Password Override

I set up Access Control on my Plusnet One hub, to block my 15yr old from accessing the internet whilst I was out. However, he logged in to the hub using a normal browser.  He found and made use of the 'Password Override' function to reset the password, and turn off the Access Control (and then had unlimited internet access).

PN suggested I disable the WPS button via the Hub Mgr settings. However, whilst this has disabled the WPS functionality, it has had no impact on the password override functionality (holding the WPS button for 15 secs still sends the hub into Password Override mode). Customer Services at PN did not know how to deal with this, and suggested I turn to the community. Any thoughts/suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnet Access Control being overridden through Password Override

A non-technological solution?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

As the Plusnet One is the same internally as a BT Home Hub 5 type A (minus Openzone Wifi), I've googled this and the answer seems to be a resounding No.

If disabling WPS by going into the advance settings > wireless > WPS  doesn't stop it then nothing else will. Might be time to save for a new modem/router device.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

A new router won't solve the problem if it has a factory reset button that can't be disabled, which would be most routers.

Technicolor routers might have a setting to disable the factory reset button.

Apart from that, lock the router away in a cupboard, so its buttons can't be pressed?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@ejs

I meant a new GOOD router not a Plusnet Hub One or a BT Home Hub which all have this feature. These devices are not being factory reset but just have the admin password reset.

Might take a bit of a look for but there must be one out there. If the OP's child resets a none Plusnet device to factory , then they would also need to know the Plusnet login/password details too if you have no support for TR69 and also disable it on the members centre (assuming Plusnet haven't removed that feature too).

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Well this un-censored believable.

BT create a device - with a secured means to control kids access to the internet.

They then design, build and publish the means of simply pushing a button and reading information off the bottom of the box which allows any old Tom, Dick, Harry or some kid (who you intended to be locked out) to gain access and change your password.

It just mad.  See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32234/~/how-does-password-override-work-on-the-bt-hom... - two adjacent paragraphs...

Whenever you need to access settings in the Hub Manager on your BT Home Hub 3, Hub 4 or Hub 5 you'll be asked to put in a password. This protects you against other people getting access to important settings.

If you forget your password, you can use the override feature to set up a new one, along with a password hint to help you remember it in the future.

Someone lost the plot!

Reading further on...

This means the Hub is now in Password Override mode. You've got two minutes to put in the required information:

• Your Hub's wireless key: you'll find the default key on the Hub settings card on the back of your Hub or on the label under the base of your Hub.
  • Your Hub's serial number: you'll find this on the label under the base

A cunning thought has arisen...

Does this required the default or the current wireless key?

If it is the current wireless key, might this stupidity be defeated by changing the wireless key to something the rather smart kiddy-winky does not know?

Would be less traumatic than chopping off the fingers to make pressing the WPS button more challenging.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@SpendLessTime wrote:

I meant a new GOOD router not a Plusnet Hub One or a BT Home Hub which all have this feature. These devices are not being factory reset but just have the admin password reset.

The point is that as we make stuff easier for adults to set up (TR96) and disobedient kids get 'smarter' any device which has a factory reset button is at risk of being bounced and getting back on air again.  We saw that with the TG582n device ... until someone manually telnets into it to disable the factory reset button ... which once done, if you forget the password, you are left with a brick.

It is not simply a matter of having a router which is thought "better" than BHH of PH1, rather its a matter of having one which stays secure when parents implement sensible security.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MarkH2
Hooked

I took the first suggestion, of a non-technological method.

To effect the password override function, you need the wi-fi access code, and the router serial number. So I've blackened out the serial number on the bottom of the hub (after taking a note, just in case). And made the lad delete the photo he took of it.

If he does have a separate note he could go through the same process again, but I would know when I next went to update the settings only to find that my password no longer worked.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Mark,

Glad you feel you've found a solution.  It would though be interesting to know if it is the default or current wifi passcode which is required.

nigelmercier
Grafter

Ground him for a week. Threaten to confiscate all devices for repeat offense. 

chappa121170
Hooked

id just unplug the router and take it out with me your not using it but the kid is circumventing your authority so take the router where ever your going lol