cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet 2704 router & split bands

Kcaroline

Plusnet 2704 router & split bands

I have the standard ADSL package and can't get my existing WAVLINK AC1200 dual band WiFi extender to work with the 2704 router. Worked out that this Plusnet router doesn't split bands to 2.4ghz and 5ghz which my old NowTV router did. Are there any advance router settings I can change to use the extender?
11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Plusnet 2704 router & split bands

@Kcaroline the 2704 is only a single band router. It does not have any 5ghz capability at all.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Kcaroline The Hub Zero (or 2740N) is single band 2.4GHz only., so obviously you can't 'split' it. If you want a dual band one which works with PN, the the BT HH6 is a good replacement - configuration/setup details are on the My Router board on this forum.

The HH6 is available on eBay (in reducing numbers) for around £20-£25.

Welcome to the forums, BTW.

John
Kcaroline

Hi John. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not looking to buy any new equipment though. If the 2740n router does do 2.4ghz band, I'd be satisfied just getting that signal extended but I haven't managed it so far, so think I need to tweak the settings somewhere.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Kcaroline 

This review from 6 years ago will tell you all that you need to know about the WiFi performance of this hub.  https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review
Follow @jab1‘s advice and get a Smarthub 6.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Kcaroline, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having wireless issues as of recent.
It sounds like the extender you have may be dual band and why the current router you're using may not be able to connect with it. I'd advise then perhaps seeing if there's a way to disable or split the 5Ghz frequency the extender does include as this then could allow you to connect your 2.4Ghz router.

As @jab1 pointed out the router you have only provides a 2.4Ghz frequency as a new router would be required if you were wishing to optimise both bands on your extender. Unfortunately we don't have such routers we can offer for the current product you're on so I'd recommend looking to get a third party router if you're looking to do this.

Below are some steps on how best to optimise the wireless settings of the router you have which may help with some of the wireless issues you're looking to address.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called 'wifi analyzer' (blue and white wifi icon) which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Plusnet Hub Zero, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) Once you are connected, you will see the option that says 'Wi-Fi Network' with the name of your network followed by the 'Settings' button.

3) Please select 'Settings' and you will be asked to log in with the 'Router Password'. This password is found on the bottom of the router and is case sensitive. This password can also be found on the plastic card that came with the router.

4) The Channel is the key option that we need to look for, If this is on Auto then we will want to change this to one of the 13 channels listed on the drop down menu. This stage is all down to trial and error to find the best channel for you.

If you continue experiencing issues on wireless, then it is recommended to change this to one of the other 13 channels listed.
(It's recommended to start with channels 1,6 and 11 first of all as these don't overlap with each other.)

I hope this helps.

Kcaroline

Hi Ben. Thanks for your advice. I'll see if I can switch off the 5ghz of the extender/ repeater. As for channels, I did log onto the extender and can see that I can select the channels for the 2.4 and 5ghz. Should
I select the same channel number for both the 2.4ghz on the extender and on the router?

One other question, I was reading up about the Hub One router and it said that it is dual band. A review said it works with ADSL as well as fibre. Could that be a solution?
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Kcaroline Plusnet will not supply you with a Hub One unless you are on a Fibre product, hence my suggestion earlier of purchasing your own HH6, which is a much superior modem/router - you might even find you don't need the extender with it.

John
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Kcaroline, let us know how it goes.
From my experience with wifi extenders I've found they often copy the routers channel choice once set up but I would image there's some which you can optimise to be different from the router. If this is the case with your then I'd maybe recommend using the app mentioned above to see which channel would be best for where you router is and then checking again near where you aim to put the extender to see if it would also be beneficial on the same channel.
As @jab1 advised I'm afraid unless you're on a fibre product then we wouldn't be able to offer a HubOne router and a third party router would be the option if you're needing a router with both wireless frequencies.
Let us know how it goes.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@Kcaroline 

Thanks to Baldrick, who produced an excellent how-to guide in the My Router thread, many of us are on the BT HH6, you can buy them for £5-£20 on Gumtree, eBay and the like. I wouldn't bother with the Hub One,  let alone the 2704.

Kcaroline

With special thanks to @jab1,  @Longliner and @Baldrick1 I think I'm now ok. After @Longliner advised you could pick up a secondhand BT HH6, as first recommended by @jab1, for a fiver or so on Gumtree etc I was lucky to spot one locally on Facebook Marketplace for £3 and snapped it up earlier this week. I left set-up until today and thanks to @Baldrick1's step-by-step guide on setting up the BT HH6 on Plusnet, I've just finished getting it up and running and have now been able to connect the WAVLINK extender to it too.

I was reluctant to shell out much on a different router as I only use the extender to get wifi in the garden during the summer months, so not a year-round need as usually the wifi is pretty good in the house. And as you all say the BT HH6 is better than the 2704, then I'm sure it'll be even better now.

Thank you again for your advice and help.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@Kcaroline 

Well done, I paid five times as much for my HH6! We're all very happy to help you out as others have helped us -- most of all Baldrick who spent a long time compiling the Simple Guide to the HH6 on PN. Happy surfing!