cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet router drop outs

Company_Man

PlusNet router drop outs

I started with PlusNet on the 19th Feb on the following package...

Unlimited Fibre Extra has an average speed of 66Mb download and 18Mb upload.

...transferring from BT at the same package type /speed.

My router was sent out late by PlusNet so didn't arrive until 20th. Not a great start but can accept this can happen. 

So on the 1st day (19th) I spoke to someone at Plusnet who kindly talked me through setting up Plusnet using the BT Smart hub router until the Plusnet router arrived. This worked fine for all of the 1st day - no problems at all. 

The Plusnet router then arrived on the 20th and I set it up that day. Since then had nonstop issues with dropping out/authentication errors on all devices using the Plusnet  router.

Just looked on this forum and to my horror see it's an on going issue for a lot of people.

Basically I'd like a router that works. Not the current Plusnet one with issues that I wasnt made aware of when i decided to switch. The workarounds suggested do not give me the level of performance I will need currently (2 adults working from home + 2 kids home schooling). 

So my questions are :

1. Can I request to keep and use the BT router that has non of the Plusnet issues and worked fine? Who would agree to this, as BT have requested I send it back to them? The plusnet engineer i spoke to on the 19th suggested I kept it anyway, probably because he knew  of these issues?

2. If I can't keep and use the BT router with Plusnet am I able to cancel my Plusnet contract and either return to BT /go to another provider?

Whilst typing the above out it disconnected 4 times and then returned authentication errors on the device.  I'm having to connect to a Wi-Fi booster to complete this post as the Plusnet  router is so unstable. The Wi-Fi extender works fine in the part of the house that is covered by it. The Plusnet router that covers the majority of the house unfirtunately doesn't. 

Really disappointing all round 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: PlusNet router drop outs

@Company_Man  Welcome to the forum.

I think it was contracts agreed from December 2019 when BT started charging for Smarthubs if you signed up to BT  prior to that you could keep them so you can ignore the request the request to return it. All that you need to do is switch off the Plusnet hub and leaving the DSL cable disconnected on the Smarthub enter your Plusnet account  user name followed by 

@plusdsl.net and your account password then plug in the DSL cable. It should then connect. You will find the full instructions pinned near the top of this board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Company_Man

Thanks @Baldrick1

I'll give BT a call to double check but I think I last renewed my contract with them before that date so can keep the router hopefully.

I'll see how we all get on tomorrow back at work/school using the 2.4ghz band on the Plusnet router, as have disabled the troublesome 5ghz as suggested on the pinned thread.

I was never aware which or both of the bands the BT Smart hub used. I guess it was using both, but if it was only using the 2.4ghz I guess I'd basically be swapping like for like so little point in reverting to the BT Smarthub?

Thanks again 👍
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Company_Man 

If your last contract with BT was 18 or 24 months then you can keep the Smarthub. If you were on a shorter contract I would expect that you would have been told that you would be charged something like £50 if you did not return it. WiFi performance is better on the Smarthub but if you are happy with the Hub One performance and you can live with the look of it, then use it.

However unless you will be charged for it I would keep the Smarthub, even if only as a spare

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'