cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Hub one crashing

AndyD1
Grafter

PlusNet Hub one crashing

I’ve been using a BT HUB 6 for a year now due to very poor WiFi speeds with the PN one but now finding my broadband speed is terrible, around the 7-11 meg. Had BT out and they fitted a new BT hub 6 but made no difference so ended up plugging in my old PN hub 1. Bingo 40 meg download speeds but the router keeps crashing.
Can do it’s every 5-10min or last for a few hours. It eventually comes back but now getting really annoying. Anything I need to change?

Cheers everyone.
85 REPLIES 85
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: PlusNet Hub one crashing

@AndyD1 

Try putting the Smarthub back. It could have been that it was dropping the broadband connection and reconnecting that caused your speed to recover, not the change of router.

I'm amazed that BT gave you a replacement Smarthub. Did they set it up with your Plusnet credentials for you as well?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

AndyD1
Grafter

I had to change the settings to plus net.

The BT routers are both stable but as soon as I connect them my speed drops to 10-15meg and stays like that.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @AndyD1.

We're sorry to hear of your connection issues.

On checking the account, we can see that you've since called in and that our faults team are currently investigating the issue.

As soon as there's a further update they'll be in touch directly.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@AndyD1 what firmware version is the Hub One running? It should tell you in the footer of the web interface.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AndyD1
Grafter

@bobpullen
Hello. Sorry it’s taken so long to get back to you but I’m having big issues with this.

The Software version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263
AndyD1
Grafter

Right just to update you all I’m still having issues with my internet connection dropping. (Orange light comes on/ flashes), this happens day or night so no set pattern.

PN have sent me out a new hub one but problem is still there. BT have been out many many times and at the moment no faults currently with my line.

The hub lasted for a maximum of 5-6 days with no drops but now dropping 2-3 times a day. This is getting past a joke I’m im slowly pulling my hair out over it.

Any thoughts people? Must appreciated.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I don't think the Hub is the primary cause of the instability. There's something else at play, probably pertaining to the line itself. You may need to perservere with the engineer visits.

You are on the latest production firmware, and whilst there are a couple of stability tickets we're working on, non fit the pattern of the disconnections you're seeing:

image15815931006202.png

The difference in behaviours between the routers you have, could simply be due to the different chipsets, and how they behave under certain error conditions.

The only thing it might be worth us trying at this side, is shifting you to a more favourable line management profile. Whilst this may help with the drops, it's not going to do anything for your headline speed.

Perhaps @Gandalf or one of the team can take a look for you?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AndyD1
Grafter

What’s my line speed going to drop too?

So far it’s been on for just over 15 hours without a drop.

Thanks for all your help with this.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Andy, I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems. If we change the stability profile to either Stable or Super Stable, this will basically influence DLM in its decision making when it applies things like banding, interleaving etc and it'd be difficult to advise by how much your speeds will drop by as there are a lot of factors DLM works on.

Since the engineer visit you had yesterday where they've replaced the lead-in going into your property, your line does appear to have been a lot stable so I'm not sure we're quite yet in the position of artificially making your line more stable at the cost of speed especially when you're already pretty close to the bottom end of the speed estimate.

Currently your router is getting a speed of 38mbps and the minimum is around 34mbps. It's definitely promising that your line hasn't dropped at all since about 10pm last night, although you've had longer periods of stability before so I think at this stage only time will tell and I'd recommend keeping an eye on this over the next few days.

If you do get further issues, while we'd need to arrange another engineer unless you'd want to give the stability change a go, I'll be happy to raise an escalation with our suppliers to try to ensure a full investigation is carried out and a definitive answer provided with regards to what speed we can expect your line to realistically achieve without dropping.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AndyD1
Grafter

Hello. Thanks for getting back to me.

While a lot of that went right over my head I think I’ll keep an eye on things here for a few days to give it a chance.

Obviously in a perfect world my internet connection should never drop but being realistic what would you say is an acceptable amount?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Andy, no problem and sorry for the confusion. 

Openreach define an intermittent connection as 3 drops within 24 hours or 6 drops within 72 hours, although it's not a rule fixed in to stone as there are more possible reasons for us to arrange an engineer if there are other issues.

Let me know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AndyD1
Grafter

Hello.

Will do. My line speed seams to of really dropped. Yesterday it was mid to high 30s.

Using BT Wholesale site it seams to be mid 20s.

I’ll keep checking and see what happens over the next few days.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update Andy,

Keep me posted on how it's going. Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AndyD1
Grafter

Morning all.

Came home to find the router had gone off about 2am. Don’t know if it was just the once or been off a number of time.

Andy.