Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Hub One alternative

FIXED
d8smt
Rising Star

PlusNet Hub One alternative

Hi All,

Just received the new HubOne today as a replacement for the old fibre model and it's not the best. So 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to configurethe HubOne as a fibre modem only, and then piggyback another router behind it to handle DHCP, port forwarding, DNS alternatives, etc.? I've trawled through the UI but can't find how to do this, and the instructions/online guides are poor/non-existent for any advanced use;

2. the BBand WAN port on the HubOne - is this for incoming from the network only, or can it be used as a fifth, hi-capacity GigE port to link to the router ?

3. Has anyone set up & could recommend a decent alternative router for the HubOne in the case where I can't use it as a fibre modem? I need additional advanced functionality on it - fort forward to static IP cameras, configurable DNS servers, support for Pure wireless speakers (which don't work on the HH5/HubOne), guest zone, etc..

thx

5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: PlusNet Hub One alternative

Fix

1. No, Hub One does not have a VDSL bridge modem mode.

2. The red WAN port is for direct connection to a VDSL modem, such as the ones provided by Openreach.

3. Given your specific requirements (re. Pure Wireless speakers), I can only suggest you buy a router from a retailer with excellent return/refund policy.  I personally prefer separate modem and router, as there is greater choice of routers available if you are on a limited budget.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It would be worth having a look over o Kitz for more detail.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@d8smt

What router are you currently using/were you using ?

Have you just upgraded to "fibre" ? 

I am the satisfied customer....
d8smt
Rising Star

It was a DLINK Dir-845L.

However, I have also since discovered there is also a fault on the line.............keep posted for results once it's fixed.....

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

If you had a DLink Dir-845L I guess you were using it with an Openreach modem.

Your DLink Dir-845L is a rather more capable device than an ISP "free" router.

I take it you are looking for a "one box" solution as otherwise you would be sticking with the modem/DLink combination.

I am the satisfied customer....