Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus net router making hissing noise?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Plus net router making hissing noise?

Hi dbobstoner, 

Would you mind just seeing if the noise stops if you temporarily disable the 5ghz channel please? Also if you could try a factory reset just to see if that helps: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

Do keep us posted, we can always get yours replaced too if that doesn't help. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
emzywoo1
Hooked

My Hub makes noise every time I open a new webpage or do anything online for that matter. Seems to be the only way to fix this is by switching 5GHz off? I have found posts from years ago about this noise - why is this still an issue? Living in a studio flat it is impossible to get away from the noise. Wish I had known about this before deciding to swap providers Sad 

dbobstoner
Hooked

Why would I want to turn the 5GHz signal off? I need it! The days of endless cables connecting the router to the device have gone. I have reset the router and still I get the noise. I can understand how annoying it gets. I wonder how if this isa known fault Plusnet have yet to fix it.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@dbobstoner

Yes I agree that it's ridiculous that this has gone on for so long but to resolve your problem why not just do as asked and temporarily try the 2.4GHz band on it's own. It can then be determined whether or not in your case it is just the 5GHz  transmissions causing the problem. Once you have done the test switch the 5GHz back on if so required.

Having done that report back the result, confirm that you are not satisfied with the router and ask for a replacement. I have no doubt that one will be sent out to you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep @dbobstoner

I think you're going to have to get your router replaced, as it sounds fauly.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it is a permanent fix, just trying to identify where the fault lies.

Let us know how you get on, it'll help people who may have a similar problem to yours.  

dbobstoner
Hooked

I have done as asked. I was delaying as if I disconnected the 5GHz signal how was I going to reconnect it? I don't use wired connectors. I now have used the mobile to reconnect the 5GHz signal.

With the reset done the hiss was still there.

With the 5Ghz signal disabled the hiss was not evident.

Thank you for your patience

Alex
Community Veteran

Now you’ve tried it (thanks for doing that) it sounds like you have a faulty router and need it replacing.

A member of staff can hopefully pick this up and let you know what to do.
dbobstoner
Hooked

I would add now that the hiss is markedly reduced. I'm not sure it merits replacement in its current form. Thank you for the guidance - much appreciated.

emzywoo1
Hooked

Does this problem not occur with all plusnet routers then? Could I get a replacement and still be able to use my 5GHz? 

Baldrick1

No it's a fault. If you're not happy then ask for a replacement on the grounds that the 5GHz band is unusable in your studio flat. If Plusnet tell you to use the 2.4GHz channel remind them that the deal is that they supply a fully functional router and, not one with an inherent fault.

Moderator and Customer

Alex
Community Veteran

Yup both @emzywoo1 and @dbobstoner need to get their routers changed, it is a fault.

I don't know how you both put up with it - I certainly couldn't!

Mine doesn't do it, and I would certainly complain on here if it did.

sasha33
Grafter

That's interesting, my Hub makes that noise too. Did you guys had other problems with internet dropping? Did it improve anything?

Baldrick1

This noise is caused by data traffic. It will not cause dropped connections. The improvement you get with a replacement is hopefully you will get a good one and the noise stops.

Moderator and Customer

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @emzywoo1, @dbobstoner and @sasha33,

I'm sorry to hear that you're all experiencing issues with your router making a loud hissing noise. Checking your accounts, I can see that you received your routers at around the same time so it's possible that there was an issue with this batch - I'll flag this to our products team.

I've sent you all new routers - please allow 3-5 working days for these to arrive and let us know if you continue to experience any issues once you have your new router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
dbobstoner
Hooked

On behalf of the others may I say thank you Emily, and the others for your support and advice.

Bob