cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus net router making hissing noise?

Tridley68
Hooked

Re: Plus net router making hissing noise?

Yeah same experience as me .. after receiving a second router which was actually worse than the first I’ve just had to admit defeat and I’ll put up with it until I can get out of the contract and switch .. it’s a shame as the service is great but the router is [-Censored-]
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @bvardy

The information on your profile isn't bringing any account up for us. Please can you private message me the first line of your address and post code, and I can check this out for you.

isikyigit

Hi I have just joined plusnet and I am having the same issue here. Could you help me please, disabling 5GHz is not an option for me. @deank

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @isikyigit,

I have sent a new router under the manufacturers warranty, it will be with your within 3 - 5 working days but I must make you aware that the issue may occur on the new router. If it does, until a fix is rolled out I'm afraid the only option is to disable 5GHz.

Rather than sending the router back with the returns packaging, could you kindly send it here. We are happy to apply a credit to your account to cover the cost of P&P and for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Beccibaxter

Mine is hissing VERY loudly.
It sounds like gushing water!
I’ve disabled the 5ghz thing and it still hissed just a little quieter.

Its driving me insane.
At first I thought I had a water leak somewhere and was looking for it all over my house. Then I realised it was the router. Its extremely distracting.
Help please!!
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Beccibaxter

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've dispatched a replacement router for you. As per @Jubby's update above, you might find that the replacement does exhibit the same symptoms. If you could send the router back to the address linked in Jubby's post that would be appreciated - feel free to send it second class and let us know how much the postage was so that we can credit your account.

Best wishes

Dave

Beccibaxter

Hi Dave, it’s been 3 weeks and I haven’t received a new router!
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Beccibaxter,

I'm sorry to hear that you've not received your new router. This was dispatched on the 20th of November so it sounds like there has been a problem during the delivery.

I've ordered another one for you now and, all being well, you should have this within 3-5 working days. Please let us know if you don't receive this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Pete_T
Dabbler

Just stumbled across this thread. For a few months I've been blaming my TV hard drive for an intermittent hissing noise. Decided to investigate today and lo and behold it's my Plusnet fibre router making the noise. Could someone arrange for a replacement to be supplied please?
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Pete_T,

After discussing this issue with our products team we have been advised that after a number of routers had been returned to the manufacturers for testing a consensus was reached that the noise that people have reported coming from the router is within acceptable tolerances.

To expand slightly on this, we don't believe that the noise is indicative of any performance issues with the router and sending out a replacement wouldn't resolve this issue as the replacement is the same model of router so the buzzing noise would still be present.

One potential solution to stopping the buzzing noise that you're hearing is to split the wireless channels within the router and I've included a guide on how this can be done below. It should be noted however that this may sacrifice some wireless speed.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:

What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:

On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4Ghz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team