cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus net and plex

Happyhiker
Hooked

Plus net and plex

I've just switched to using a hub1 which forces me to use plusnet dns server. This seems to have broken plex media server. I can run plex from a pc, but my xbox1 app and ps3 apps and all tablets can no longer find the plex server. I think these apps go out my network and back in to find the server, and for some reason using plusnet dns breaks this. Anyone know how to get round this ? Previously I used a different router and plusnet dns still broke plex, but using opendns made it work. Hub1 won’t let me use opendns, but there must be some way of making it work?

i'm assuming ringing customer services and even mentioning dns is a waste of time?

5 REPLIES 5
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Plus net and plex

Honestly I'm unsure why you are getting this issue, I've used Plex since it's early days and never experienced any issues on local or remote play personally.

You are right in stating plex goes out of your network, then back in from some devices, this is due to an update to plex recently which means that plexauth is required rather than local auth which used to be used(plex still works on internal using cached credentials if you have no external access)

In regards to the hub one, have you forwarded port 32400 to your plex server so that the internal connection can get back into your local network after hitting the external auth from plex themselves? also in the plex server settings what does it show for external connectivity?

Happyhiker
Hooked

have you forwarded port 32400 to your plex server so that the internal connection can get back into your local network after hitting the external auth from plex themselves? 

So I don’t really know what this means I did wonder if I needed to do something with port forwarding (whatever that is) the router page gives me a list of apps that does not include plex, then a list of devices, and no port number box. I found another page that had ip ranges. Again no clue what to do with that. How do I do the above ?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

What do you see on the remote access tab on the server's settings page? (ensure advanced settings are visible)
Happyhiker
Hooked

so i have now set up port 32400 to forward to my plex server(or the ip address of my nas drive anyway). uPnP was enabled though, so did I need to do this?

If I go to plex.tv settings > server it says settings are unavailable.

if i go to <nas ip>:32400 remote access was available, but the port 32400 box(manually specify public port) was not ticked. I ticked it and said connect and its sat saying 'connecting server' for about 15 minutes... which I assume means its not doing it.

the remote access page  does say 'Fully accessible outside your network' at the top of the screen, with private and public ip addresses both set to 'unknown'. but i cant access media via plex.tv it just says The server "MyMedia" is unavailable

'

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The private IP address should that of the NAS, have you tried the Plex troubleshooting here?