Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help with ASUS DSL-AC68U as I'm about to have a nervous Breakdown

FIXED
Blofeld
Grafter

Please Help with ASUS DSL-AC68U as I'm about to have a nervous Breakdown

Hi

Right I've been a customer of Plusnet for a while and was using the Home Hub One, but the lack of options and not even being able to change the primary and secondary DNS, with the fact that streaming plus gaming was not great, I was advised to get a brand new ASUS DSL-AC68U, it's part of the AC1900 VDSL/ADSL range so thought setting it up in place of my Home Hub would be like taking Candy from a Baby (although that's not something I go round doing, nicking sweets off bairns) anyway after spending 8 hours yesterday with only achieving a single DSL light, I gave up, I'm just about to go for round two, but would really appreciate advice or even better the correct settings or a guide to how I set this up, it's of course being used as a single Modem/Router, I'm on Fibre and even though I've got the old copper from the street box to my house, I'm still getting 55mb down rising to 65mb on a good day. Any help would be REALLY appreciated as I really am close to a breakdown. Lol cheers and hope that someone takes pity on me 👍🏻

20 REPLIES 20
mjod1952
Dabbler

Re: lease Help with DSL-AC68U as I'm about to have a nervous Breakdown

Are your sure that's not an ASUS DSL-AC68U?

Mike
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I hope someone can help you out.

I don't have fibre but I have had experience of using a DSL-AC68U and had a recurring problem of dropping the PPP connection at least once a day. There are a number of forum threads on this issue.

I eventually replaced it with a TP-Link W8980 which has been up and stable for 4 days and counting.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Blofeld
Grafter

Yep sorry mate, heads gone seriously, yep it's an Asus and not tp-link, will correct the post

mjod1952
Dabbler

I found it very difficult to connect at first and thought I was going mad when I got mine.  I eventually found out I was not entering the correct id and password.  I eventually logged in with my username from plusnet: username@plusdsl.net and the password associated with it.

Hope thatbhelps

Mike
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Please Help with ASUS DSL-AC68U as I'm about to have a nervous Breakdown

This page may help with the settings you may need to enter/change:

If you’ve got fibre broadband, here are the settings you need. Some of these terms can vary from router to router, but these are the most commonly used.

It asks for: Use:
Broadband username or login name       yourusername@plusdsl.net
Connection type or encapsulation PPPoE Always On
VLAN Active
802.1p 0
802.1q 101

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There's a thread here https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/asus-DSL-AC68U-help-please/m-p/1181568 with a screen dump of the settings

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

This is a better help Smiley https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Asus-DSL-AC68U/m-p/1300123#M33580

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

These settings are working fine for me. Ensure you have upgraded to the latest official firmware as well, available from here - current version is 3.0.0.4.380_3281.

Blofeld
Grafter

A massive thanks to everyone that offered advice, it's been really helpful, although I'm not fully sorted out yet, have got the router firmware updated so tried the auto sinc again, but no luck. Have put the settings in or a mix of three or four as they were different from each other, plus the new firmware gave my a dozen new options 😡 Basically I've now got the router to at least pick up the VDSL signal, so get the globe coming up, where it all falls down is when the router talks to plusnet? I got it to sinc once but it then kicked me off, has even started coming up "unknown username and/or password" but I'm putting in the correct details, as they are the same ones I log onto the member centre with. Have gone back to using the home hub until I get a few hours possibly tomorrow to give it another go. Thanks again for everyone's help, can I also ask, is it best to leave the setting for auto configure, that's available on the member centre, the one that's supposed allow the home hub link without you putting your settings in, should I switch that off? As it's not a plusnet router or just leave it on? Yep I'm scratching around for ideas now, it's got to that stage. 

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Blofeld wrote:

started coming up "unknown username and/or password" but I'm putting in the correct details, as they are the same ones I log onto the member centre with

@Might sound like a silly question, but are you making sure to include @plusdsl.net after the username (username@plusdsl.net)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Blofeld, did you manually reset the Asus router (using the small button on the rear of the case) to factory defaults after ugrading the firmware? It does mean inputting all the setup details again, which is rather a chore, but it can resolve connection problems sometimes. Also, don't use the router's Quick Internet Setup feature as it's not too reliable, but enter all the required details manually.

Blofeld
Grafter

Yeah I'm adding the correct @plusdsl.net after my username
Blofeld
Grafter

Must admit, no I haven't factory reset after upgrading the firmware, so that may help (fingers crossed) also does anyone know if the beta version of the ASUS firmware is stable? It's just it's coming up as the latest one to use.
Thanks 👍🏻
Blofeld
Grafter

The Firmware that's down as the latest version is 

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 9.0.0.4.380_3879 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)