cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping spikes and Oculus Quest 2 hitching on 5GHz

niallslater

Ping spikes and Oculus Quest 2 hitching on 5GHz

Hi - I'm having a weird problem with my network and I think it's being caused by my Plusnet Hub One router.

I use Virtual Desktop to connect my Oculus Quest 2 to my desktop PC. The Quest uses the 5GHz band and the PC is connected by Ethernet.

The Quest experiences a ping spike roughly every second, and will occasionally seem to fail to connect at all. There have been times in the past when this hitching didn't occur, and I haven't made any changes to the PC or Quest to cause it, so I think it's probably a router issue.

The 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks are split with different SSIDs. My firmware verison is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

In addition - I'm not sure if this issue is related - pings to an external IP using this site (https://ping.canbeuseful.com/en#ping) are all very fast except for a single massive spike every 30 seconds. (I've attached a screenshot of the graph.) This problem sometimes vanishes for half an hour or so but always comes back.

My home network includes: one Netgear EX2700 wifi extender, one Steam Link (wired), one Windows desktop PC (wired), two Windows laptops, one Macbook, two android phones, one iphone, one chromecast, one wifi speaker, two Nintendo Switch consoles and one ipad. I've removed each of these devices from the network in turn and the issue has not stopped.

I understand there's a firmware update available that might fix 5GHz connection issues - could this be sent to my router so I can see if that fixes the issue please? Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Ping spikes and Oculus Quest 2 hitching on 5GHz

I've sent you a later firmware (you'll need to reboot to apply it), however I wouldn't expect any of the bugs I'm aware of to result in intermittent ping spikes like those you describe. Do they only happen over Wi-Fi?

I assume the headset is close to the router when you're streaming?

FWIW, I have successfully used a Hub One/Quest 1/Virtual Desktop in the past to stream Half Life Alyx to a useable degree (with SSID's merged as it shouldn't matter too much if you're close enough). There are a lot of environmental variables that can affect performance though.

If the extender is broadcasting the same SSID over 5GHz then I would definitely look to rule that out.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵