cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pass through / Bridge Modem with AmplifiHD Router?

keithdwilliams
Grafter

Pass through / Bridge Modem with AmplifiHD Router?

Has anyone got a recommendation for a solid modem only that can work in bridge mode? The Draytek gets a decent right up, but are there others?

Also, has anyone any experience with this set up? i.e. modem in bridge mode connecting to a router?

Lastly has anyone set up this configuration using an AmplifiHD Mesh? Or perhaps a Unifi Dream Machine?

TIA, keith

4 REPLIES 4
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Pass through / Bridge Modem with AmplifiHD Router?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I've used a 9970 in front of a Draytek router, itvworks fine. No experience of Amplifi or Unifi, but as long as they can make a PPPoE connection on the WAN port then they should work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@keithdwilliams  From your other posts you are on an ADSL2+ connection, is the modem you are seeking for this line. The TP link td-W9970 comes in a number of versions with different hardware. I have seen in a thread on the Kitz forum that Version 4 has a Mediatek modem chipset which is generally considered not the best for VDSL2 lines. It may be fine for ADSL2, I have no info on that. Earlier versions, which may still be available had the preferred Broadcom chipset.

I have used the old Openreach supplied Huawei HG612-3B Broadcom chipset modem on both ADSL and VDSL2 connections with excellent results. These are available on auction sites for around  £20 or so. To use one on ADSL it can fairly easily be unlocked with updated firmware to change the configuration which by default is for VDSL2. If you want a plug and play solution you need to look elsewhere. 

keithdwilliams
Grafter

Thanks for that.

It is for this line, but its also for the imminent - although its still 9months away yet move to VDSL.

i was looking at the Draytek Vigor 130 - any thoughts on that?

I'll check the other idea if / when i get back online with the current issues!