cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP password change - Does Plusnet confirm a successful change?

FIXED
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

PPP password change - Does Plusnet confirm a successful change?

My router is a TG582n with the 8.4.4.J software. I have had this router and been with Plusnet for quite a few years now and never changed the ppp password. (That assumes that the ppp password is the one that I use to log into the Member Centre and the router uses to log onto the service. If you know differently, please speak up!)

I have however changed many other things - the admin and wireless users and passwords and I may have disabled the "tech" user which I assumed was Plusnet's backdoor into the modem. I may also have closed a port I found open which may also be the tech's way in. It is hard to be sure after this many years and with a complex and non-obvious cli.

Anyway, I thought it was about time I changed my account password. I found the page on the portal, typed in my old password and a new one twice, pressed go and it came back with a page saying check my modem is on line and connected - which it is - I was talking to the portal over it. It also said that I might have to change the password on the modem myself "if necessary". The link it pointed to to tell me how to do that did not seem to meet that need.

Anyway, I pushed go again and the centre portion of the page went blank - and stayed blank.

I did take the risk of logging out of the portal and back in again and the password had changed there. BUT had it succeeded in changing the password on my router? That is the big question.

I would have expected the blank page to come back with a "Router and Portal password successfully changed" type of message - but it did not. The router log does not mention such a change.

I have been into the cli and found a command to change the ppp password and at a push I could run the router setup procedure again - but really I would like to know whether I need to - without jumping into the fire by disconnecting the broadband connection and seeing whether it will reconnect. It's a bit late then if it will not.

So I went back to the password change page on the portal and changed my password back to the original one. It has changed back but with the same blank page appearing.

Can anybody tell me whether the blank page means that Plusnet cannot change my router password - or is it just sloppy programming (no - never!)

3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: PPP password change - Does Plusnet confirm a successful change?

Whether we can communicate with your router or not, it wouldn't cause a blank page. The HTTP request does not wait for a response from our router management platform. Sounds like something else is amiss.

Best way to check if the PPP password has changed is to log into the router GUI, disconnect and try reconnecting. If the connection attempt fails then simply retype your password in the router GUI and click connect.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Fix

Thanks Bob. When you talk about retyping the password into the router gui, do you mean me to select "Setup my Technicolor Gateway" to get to a page where I can do that?

If so, do you happen to know whether it will retain all the other settings that I am sure are likely to be on there or will I need to make sure I know those as well before I start?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

From memory I think there's an 'Advanced Settings' link or similar when you browse to the router interface. Under the broadband settings you should find a disconnect link somewhere.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵