Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN router + Apple airport help

Bp1000
Grafter

PN router + Apple airport help

Hi all

Fibre just been installed. Due to a brick wall house we have 3 access points all cabled together via cat6.

Before, virgin went directly into the WAN port of an Apple AirPort Extreme. (All other APs connected together through a switch).

Sadly, bt refused to install our master socket in our preferred location. Now it’s stuck in a difficult location.

I have no choice but to use a homeplug by the fibre plusnet router and use another homeplug to connect to the Apple AE wan port... however, for the life of me, cannot get it to work like it did with virgin.

The Apple EX just keeps showing no IP given for the internet and no internal lan ip either.

Please note I haven’t changed the plusnet settings. They are all default. Any ideas why I’m struggling here?

Currently all my APs are unused and I’m having to use homeplugs everhwhere with Wi-fi enabled homeplugs. Urgh!

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: PN router + Apple airport help

As far as I can read, knowing nothing about Apple products, this is an Access Point. As such it should be connected to one of the yellow LAN sockets on the Plusnet hub. You're not using the WAN socket by any chance?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bp1000
Grafter

Hello

Yes it is in the lan (yellow socket).

Plusnet yellow to homeplug
Other homeplug to wan port on Apple AP

How it was on virgin. But plusnet router doesn’t seem to want to assign the AP and ip/net access

Does plusnet have a modem only mode? Or any other ideas ?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Does plusnet have a modem only mode?

No it doesn't I'm afraid.

Was the Virgin hub in modem only mode ? if so then the Airport is likely set for PPPoE on it's WAN connection.

You will need to set it's WAN to DHCP so that it get's allocated an IP from the PlusNet router.

I'm not too familiar with the Airport, but if the default LAN subnet is 192.168.1.x ( that of the PlusNet hub ) then you will need to change it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bp1000
Grafter

I’ve decided to do away with the homeplugs

I have purchased bt whole home Wi-fi 2-discs

I’m hoping they will work as I’m guessing they would.

1 disc at the router, the other directly above, connected via Wi-fi, then using disc 2 Ethernet port to connect to my cat6 network. That goes into the loft and connects up all other cabled access points.

I just hope those Wi-fi discs can maintain a link between each other and the fibre wan whilst connecting to my internal lan via Ethernet.

Hopefully possible.
dleholt
Grafter

I have almost the exact same setup. The HomePlug ethernet cable is plugged into one of the LAN sockets on my TimeCapsule not the WAN socket though. Oh and make sure you have set 'Connect Using: DHCP' under the Internet tab in Airport Utility.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I have the same setup as dleholt and it works without issue
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Bp1000

Factory reset the Airport and it should "just work".

Don't make it a router, just a source of wireless (and an airplay device).

That's how my Airport Express works.

I am the satisfied customer....