Did you mean: 

Optimal WAN/DSL settings for 3rd party router

A_n_other_User
Hooked

Optimal WAN/DSL settings for 3rd party router

Please could someone advise on the optimal settings for the 2 attached images:

DSL settings.PNG

WAN settings.PNG

Our (FTTC) connection is up and working but we can see that it seems we have quite a noisy line, we're happy to reduce overall bandwidth to achive a reduced latency and more stable connection.

The router is an Asus AC68U and we see that some people don't think very highly of it but it seems to have done well for us so far, certainly compared to the Plusnet supplied router our internet connection is more stable, WiFi range is much improved, we no longer have DNS problems (as if you can't set DNS manually on the Plusnet router!), we no longer have regular 5GHz WifI dropouts and it doesn't buzz like a nest of angry wasps every time we use the WiFi!

8 REPLIES 8
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Optimal WAN/DSL settings for 3rd party router

Openreach use Annex B, but Annex A is known to work too for historical reasons.

Profile should be 17a, not 30a multimode.

No support for Vectoring unless you live in an area where Vectoring trials were conducted and Openreach didn't subsequently disable it.

If you are suffering from line disconnections, increase the noise margin (Stability Adjustment?). I note the screenshot shows DLM may be ignored the 8dB setting and is currently showing a value of 10.5 dB.  Try setting 12 or 15dB to see if works. It will be at the expense of reduction in maximum broadband speed too.

I presume you have tried the router plugged directly into the hidden engineer';s test socket to rule out internal phone extension wiring faults.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
A_n_other_User
Hooked

Thanks, we made the changes suggested, although I assume that 30a was automatically switching down to 17a anyway. We've disabled the vectoring and turned the 'stability adjustement' up. Interestingly though we could not get it to connect using Annex B, only Annex A works.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I should have added Openreach use Annex B with Tone set A, but Annex A with Tone set A also known to work.

In most of Europe, they use Annex B with Tone set B.

If you cannot change the Tone set on the router, perhaps that's why Annex B does not work?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@bill888 wrote:

No support for Vectoring unless you live in an area where Vectoring trials were conducted and Openreach didn't subsequently disable it.

Off topic, but vectoring is reasonably common place these days. Minority of cabinets have it applied, but I'd go as far as to say it's something that has been accepted into service.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@bobpullen  I would dispute your opinion that vectoring is commonplace. It is usually only enabled on BDUK contract cabinets in rural areas where vectoring allows some of the longer lines to achieve speeds over 25Mbps so that Openreach can meet the required targets for "Superfast Broadband". Except it is not very fast.🙄 In the many years I have been active on Broadband forums  I have only seen a handful of users with vectoring enabled so I would say it is quite rare.

@A_n_other_User  You would be better of with a different modem, the DSL68-ACU has the worst ever Mediatek modem chipset which does not play well with Openreach FTTC and DLM. The best thing to do is to use it as a router, the wi-fi and other features are good so it is fine if you use an external modem such as a Huawei HG612 3B. Have look at this thread ....

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/High-SNR-Margin-caused-by-Asus-DSL-AC68u/m-p/1776120#M... 

A_n_other_User
Hooked

I read the reviews of the router before purchasing, for every person complaining there are 100's more who are not. All I can see with any certaininy is that is has been online for just over a month now and we have experienced no problems at all with it. Every feature of it: not buzzing when anything 5Ghz is running, the strength of the wireless signal, the stability of the DSL connection and the local DNS service not failing constantly etc etc is a massive step up from the junk Plusnet supplied.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@A_n_other_User  If the Asus works for you that's fine, I know that for many users it causes a lot of trouble.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@bobpullen  I would dispute your opinion that vectoring is commonplace.

Dispute as you may, I know roughly how many of our circuits are running on vectored cabs ‌😜

As mentioned, it's a minority - but far from insignificant.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵