Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open VPN with Hub One

FIXED
CheshireCat
Fixes: 1

Open VPN with Hub One

With the old Plusnet Modem as supplied with ADSL, an Open VPN server on a Raspberry Pi worked fine. The TG582(?) modem allowed UDP traffic on port 1194 to be forwarded to the Pi and also allowed additional subnets.

There is no obvious way to configure the Hub One to make this work. Comments on the HH5 on the BT forum suggest that it may not be possible but if anyone can suggest a way forward, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Open VPN with Hub One

According to this https://2ellsblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/09/set-up-port-fowarding-for-openvpn-on-bt-home-hub-5/ port forwarding for UDP 1194 should be able to be configured on the HH5 (the hub one is more or less the same).

Not quite sure what you want to be able to do regarding additional subnets , can you explain a bit more ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CheshireCat

Fix

Thanks! I hadn't spotted the "add new game..." section.

Additional subnets are (probably) a separate issue. I have a few devices that are hard wired on 10.something addresses. They are tiny portable devices with no provision for keyboard, so the only way to configure them is to connect them to a network. With the old PN router, I could designate 10.99.98.0/24 or whatever as accessible but the Hub One doesn't permit it, presumably because in HH5 mode the 10/8 space is used for aliens accessing your network.

Thanks again.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I don't actually have a Hub one ( or a HH5 ) but my guess is that you probably can't add subnets. If the devices are wired , then you could set a static ip ( in the 10.x.x.x subnet ) on say a laptop and connect directly to the device to configure it.

On Windows you can actually add an 'alternate configuration' to IPV4 so both static and dhcp will be active and you don't have to keep changing to/from dhcp.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CheshireCat

Thanks for this.

I'll check out the "alternat(iv)e configuration".

openVPN is now working fine to the Pi acting as an OVPN server. In practice, I reckon I'll use the Pi when I need to talk to my home network from outside and use a public VPN for accessing everything else over insecure networks. I have the strong impression that the 3Mbps uplink makes things feel slow.