cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One third of advertised speed on WiFi

gravel
Dabbler

One third of advertised speed on WiFi

Hi, unsure if this should be in router or fibre forum.

Not sure when this issue started or if it has always been there but when on WiFi I very rarely get full speed. I have Unlimited Fibre Extra with minimum guaranteed somewhere around 70Mb/s.

My max download speed in most situations is ~2.3MB/s (~20Mb/s on speedtests). This is across all of the household devices which includes Windows desktop, Windows laptop, Macbook, Android device and iOS device. Very rarely I will get full speeds (~9MB/s) but it never lasts long. Last night I saw it running at full pelt while downloading a large game, and midway through it cut to 0MB/s and then shortly after started back around 2MB/s.

My workstation is stationary and the only physical obstruction is a wooden door (though problem is there regardless of door being open or closed). We also do not have an abundance of Bluetooth devices in the house.

On Ethernet this speed seems to be as advertised, but I do not have any devices running Ethernet normally so that is not useful. I have tested this close to the routed and at my desk (approx 4 metres from the router) - distance does not change the behaviour.

I previously had the 2.4 and 5GHz channels separate but reset the router to factory settings in an attempt to fix my issues. I have used a wifi scanning app and there does not appear to be much competition for channels in my area.

I have also tried manually selecting channels on both frequencies but it does not change the behaviour. 

Any assistance appreciated. Currently feel like I'm paying over the odds for 1/3 of the speed I should be receiving.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: One third of advertised speed on WiFi

@gravel The short answer to your question is that the speed 'guarantee' applies only to equipment connected to the modem/router by ethernet cable. There are no such guarantees for Wi-Fi connected equipment, because every environment is different, and no ISP has control over anything beyond the signal to the router. 

John
gravel
Dabbler

Right, but this is the router forum and I'm looking for advice on how I might resolve this issue with my router.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

OK. I'm not a router expert, I just explained the reason for your 'problem'. My only suggestion is to read the forum - there are a number of topics discussing this issue, and the advice usually given by members with more experience is to replace the Hub1 with a BT HH6, as you will find.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@gravel 

As @jab1 says, there are so many factors that can affect wireless performane ther are no guarantees relating to wireless speed. Have you located your hub away from other electronic equipment?

Your wireless performance is so bad  then unless that your hub is faulty or poorly located then it's debatable whether a different router would help. Do you have very thick walls and/or foil faced insulation in them?

At the end of the day if you want the full  capability of yout internet connection you need to install Ethernet cabling. Cat 5E Ethernet cable is thin and can generally be fitted discretely. You can either buy lengths ready terminated or do a more professional job yourself with minimum DIY skills. Either option is fairly cheap.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'