cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old emac won't connect to fibre broadband router

FIXED
Gail1

Old emac won't connect to fibre broadband router

I have an old emac (2002) that I've taken out of storage and tried, but failed, to connect to my fibre broadband router via an ethernet cable (it doesn't have wi-fi built in).  I use a different router and service provider since the last time it was connected.  I've tried the assistant but it unexpectedly quits each time.  Has technology progressed so much that it's no longer compatible? 

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Old emac won't connect to fibre broadband router

It's possible that this is because you need to clear out the old IP address. On a Windows machine this is done through using the ipconfig /release command in the command processor followed by ipconfig /renew.

Sorry, I have no idea how this relates to your Mac.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

A couple of questions first, what version of OS is your eMac on and what’s the model of router? You’d normally find the OS version by going to the Apple logo at the top left and then clicking ‘About’. For the model of router this should be printed on the label at the bottom.

I think it’s also definitely worth carrying out the below steps as the OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or earlier versions don’t tend to play well with some types of router if IPv6 is enabled.

• Open 'System Preferences'
  • Select 'Network'
  • You may need to unlock the padlock in the lower left hand corner of the screen to allow networking changes (you will be prompted for a local administrator password)
  • Select the network interface you want to use (wireless or wired)
  • Click on the 'Advanced' button
  • Select the 'TCP/IP' tab
  • Click on the 'Configure IPv6' drop down menu and select 'Off'
  • Click 'OK'

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Fix

@Gail1 

I've a couple of the blue & white G3 machines which connect to the Internet fine.

Cabled (ethernet) connections will still work with current routers.

Assuming the machine is otherwise stable (and using OS X as I think the machine may dual boot into an older OS) then it should work.

One thing to try is setting a static IP address (for example and assuming a "normal" router) 

IP - 192.168.1.200 (arbitrary choice assuming it hasn't been assigned to any other device on the router).
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.1.254
DNS1 - 212.159.6.10
DNS2 - 212.159.6.9.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/01/26/how-to-set-a-manual-ip-address-in-mac-os-x/

may help.

I am the satisfied customer....
Gail1

Thanks very much Mark,  I would never have known where to start with it. 

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Glad to hear it's been sorted for you @Gail1,

Give us a nudge if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Mads Don't think you gave any useful assistance, so your post is totally unnecessary, seem to get a lot of this kind of post on the forum lately from PlusNet staff who have not done very much to help.🙁

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @RealAleMadrid

I'm sorry you feel that way - it could be argued by some that your post doesn't add particular value either Tongue

Just to offer you some context around how we work customer contacts - when someone responds to a forum thread, whether that be the OP or a member of the community, that response is "pushed" to us via Lithium, the tool we use to manage customer contact.

At the point where this happens and the pushed message is the OP confirming that an issue is resolved, we find it good practice and common courtesy to acknowledge that contact and to offer support if/when it is required, irrespective of whether we resolved the OP's original issue.

The alternative is to close the post without a response which (in my personal opinion) seems cold and impersonal, especially given that we've got the thread readily available for such a concise and courteous offer of future assistance.

Thanks

Dave

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@RandallFlagg I hope you are not offended if I chose to disagree with your view of the matter. In my personal opinion I am not impressed by your slant on the value of my post. The forum is here to express all views from customers and staff and I feel that these thread closing posts are not always of any practical benefit, and the fact that Lithium prompts you to give a response suggest that you would do nothing if you were not prompted. I would like to think that future assistance is always available.🙄

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@RealAleMadrid We use the Lithium/Khoros Social Response tool to ensure that we’re seeing every post within the ‘Help with my Plusnet services’, ‘Plusnet Feedback’ and the trial boards. We will then respond if appropriate. 

If we don’t respond to a post for any reason, this doesn’t mean no-one can. Our forums are a community after all for our customers to help each other out, but we like to feel involved ourselves. Smiley

If we hadn’t responded in this instance, we’d still see any future replies through this tool.

We didn’t always use the social response tool for community threads but that didn’t mean we ignored the community, for many years we used to manually go through every board and this meant we inevitably missed some posts or more than one adviser responded to the same post at the same time as we’re only human.

Personally I think it’s a step forward, we’re definitely and consistently covering more of the community to offer support since we started using this tool and it’s much more efficient.

I hope this helps. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet