cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Chestnut - Setting up a second non Plusnet router as an Access Point for wireless

spamnch1ps

Old Chestnut - Setting up a second non Plusnet router as an Access Point for wireless

Hi Everyone,

Just joined Plusnet today (very efficient transfer). I cam from EE so have a Brighbox router from my previous fibre broadband which I would like to connect to my Hub1 to extend the wireless access. I successfully did this with two routers previously but so far, I cannot get it to work with the Plusnet Hub. I have given the Brighbox a unique IP address, disabled DHCP and Firewall. Previously the two routers connectd via the WAN connection. This does not seem to work with this setup. I have also tried just connecting via the LAN connectors but, although I can connect wirelessly to the Brighbox, I cannot access the internet. Are there any kind souls out there with wider experience can suggest how to get the setup to work please?

Regards

John

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Old Chestnut - Setting up a second non Plusnet router as an Access Point for wireless

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Old Chestnut - Setting up a second non Plusnet router as an Access Point for wireless

@spamnch1ps  Welcome to the forum.

You need to connect to a LAN socket, not WAN at the Plusnet hub end and also I would think at the AP.

What IP address did you use? It should be in the 192.168.1.1-63 range not 192.168.0.xxx as used by some routers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

spamnch1ps

Hi Baldrick1,

I had set my Access Point to 192.168.1.10 as described in previous posts that I had read. I now have it working by plugging into one of the LAN ports on the HUB1 and staying plugged into the WAN port on the Brightbox. 

Thanks for your help.

Regards

John