Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd thing with PNet One roiuter

Casey
Rising Star

Odd thing with PNet One roiuter

I had a slow down today - less than HALF normal speed 

I was checking the router and somehow, somewhen, the device name had changed in the networking. 

I have a printer called "xyz" and the laptop called "abc" (not the real names, of course) 

And some stage, the laptop had been renamed to WIN-GAD (set of numbers). 

So i went huntign through the helpdesk logs - and fund that the name was odd characters anyway... I searched for "win-gad" and it didn;t find any. Searched for "win-" and it found them all 

So the "gad" part isn;t really a "G", it's something else.  WTF time 

I renamed the laptop (in the router) back to it;s original name and exited. Restart the laptop and I'm back to 47 MBs 

So WTF was that - a trojany type thing that renamed the laptop device in the router (why? what was the point?)  Or the router playing silly bugggers?

Weird!

Edit - <BR> removed... it seems to not need them now, cool!

2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Odd thing with PNet One roiuter

Hi Casey, 

I'm just wondering do you have a second PC on your network that's set up as a Windows server? Bit of a stab in the dark for want of a better phrase but having done some deal of googling on the subject that does seem to be quite a common factor in this. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Casey
Rising Star

Re: Odd thing with PNet One roiuter

Nope, just the lappytop.

It's stayed as I named it for a few days now - whatever happened was a while ago, going back through the logs for over a month with that same changed name.

What bothered me about it was the odd characters - it wasn't just "WIN-GID", when I searhed for that it came up with nothing.

Changing the search to "win-" worked - indicating that the "GID" wasn't standard ASCII character.

I just  posted to see if anyone else had seen something like this.