Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd issue with HH5

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Odd issue with HH5

This HH5a I got of a friend, has developed a weird issue.  the location on my phones and tablets is wrong when connected via wireless, it shows the address of the routers previous address, when I am at home.  Not sure how this can happen to be honest.  I factory reset the router before I used it, and it all looks OK, with a plusnet IP etc etc.  These routers arnt registered to a BT account are they?  All I kept the same was the wireless SSID, except I split them up, and remamed the 5Ghz band with an _5 at the end of the SSID.  The wireless passwords I also changed.

Anyone ever seen this issue before.  Oddly when I turned wireless off on my phone, and tablets, and used 4G, locations became correct.

5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Odd issue with HH5

Could this be the cause of the mysterious location issue when using wifi?

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=15132.0

Renaming both SSIDs may resolve the issue?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Bill, I did try a google search on the issue, but came up with nothing.....  Thats quite scary to be honest...

Oddly, the location when I use google maps on my laptop, and wireless location is correct..... Very bizarre!!!!..

I suppose I could try changing the SSID back to the Plusnet one, as it was on the TG582n, otherwise, I suspect its something I will have to live with.....

I wonder if the person I got it from, is still using the same SSID on a replacement device?

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

yeah it does look scarey.

I would have thought Google would collect both SSID and corresponding MAC address of the wireless interface of the router, to help distinguish between different locations using the same SSID.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Posted a query with Google. This is the reply. It seems to be a workaround on each device but dosnt really work. It took on my devices for a while but eventually reverted back. Don't really understand the bit about the router and updating setting. Did ask but the said I should contact router manufacturer😞.

forum.
Download the area for offline use.
Settings>date&time>switch between time zones.
Select automatic time zone.
Chrome>google>menu>settings tap on.
Select privacy scroll down to" do
not track" and select the option off.
Google>menu>settings>site settings.
Select" allowed".
Settings>account>three dot menu.
Select auto sync data checked.
Settings>location>mode.
Switch between modes.
Select high accuracy mode.
Open google map menu settings.
Scroll down to sign out of google map.
Switch off device for ten seconds.
Switch on device.
Sign in to google map.
Open google map in outdoor without
internet connection.
Fix the location.
Enable WIFI connection.
Open chrome browser.
Search for a website in google.
After the web page is loaded,scroll down to bottom.
Tap on the button " precise location ".
Next tap on " update location " button.
Go to the wifi router/modem> settings
update settings and tap on"save and reboot".
restart the router.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Just an update for whoevers interested....

I followed the instructions from Google to the letter, except for the router settings bit, as I was unsure as to what to update in the router.  I did however drop the WAN connection and reconnected. This really had no effect whatsoever.  I recontacted google, but got no reply.

So as a last ditch, I renamed the 2.5 and 5Ghz bands to the old Plusnet SSIDs, and to my complete surprise, its all back to being OK.  I would have assumed, as Bill888, that they would match SSID and MAC address.  Anyhow all seems sorted now.