Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not yet activated, but decided to buy the Linksys 3200ACM

FIXED
Cornishfamily
Dabbler

Not yet activated, but decided to buy the Linksys 3200ACM

Well, I'm here waiting for my fibre broadband to be activated. In the meantime, I thought I would ask if anyone has set up the Linksys 3200ACM to work with plusnet? 

7 REPLIES 7
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Not yet activated, but decided to buy the Linksys 3200ACM

Fix

That Linksys model is a router only with no internal modem so you will need am external VDSL2 modem such as the openreach Huawei HG612 which connects to the router and then to the telephone line. You then need your username and password entered in the router to connect to the service. The router cannot connect directly to the phone line.Sad

Cornishfamily
Dabbler

Gutted, considering it price I was expecting the complete package. Suppose its my own fault for not researching more. The modem you suggest, is that the one plusnet provide?  

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Plusnet don't provide a modem

If you want an all in one package this is  start http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html although a this may be a better option BT Business Smart Hub from Ebay as discussed here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/BT-Business-Smart-Hub/m-p/1516893

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Nope, they used to be provided by BT Openreach when they did engineer installations, but not any more. You can get them on a well known auction site for around £25 or so. make sure you get the latest version which is the model 3B. With a simple firmware upgrade they can give full line stats if you're a bit geeky and interested in that sort of thing. Mine has been working well with over 3 months uptime and 1 CRC error with full 80 Mbps/ 20 Mbps sync speeds, but I am on a small village cabinet with about 20 FTTC connections so a very quiet line. Some people say these modems are outdated and prone to failure but I am very happy with my setup.Smiley

Cornishfamily
Dabbler

So I assume the sky q router I previously had was a router and modem in one?

Luckily I found a BT openreach modem in the loft and its got things rolling with my Linksys.

I dont quite understand why plusnet only supply half the equipment to get online? Are you saying only the router is provided by plusnet?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

the router they provide has a built in modem so you don't need a separate one

the modem was provided by BT Openreach but they no longer provide one nor support the ones they supplied previously

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

That was a good find, it should work well with the Linksys router.Smiley