Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Impressed with Hub One WiFi performance - any suggestions

YorkshirePud82
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Not Impressed with Hub One WiFi performance - any suggestions

Hello all! before i go any further a bit of background on me. I worked for a small IT firm many years ago, so I've got a fair old idea about what im doing. Wink I don't want that to come across as arrogant just letting folk know I'm prepared to have a crack at the technical issues.

Now then. As of last Thursday i have been on plusnet fibre upgraded from ADSL. Switchover went well, there was an instant improvement with speed which has stayed consistent so far. The router has behaved itself up until now. from Tuesday the router has basically started throwing a wobbler every now and again with regards to the wifi. It mostly affects the 5GHZ band. All 5ghz wifi connected devices are suffering, this includes:

Moto G4 Android smartphone

Windows 7 desktop using a USB 3.0 wifi adapter

Windows 10 laptop

a day after setup i followed the advice in the best practice (post https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840) And segregated both networks. I have also changed certain passwords and SSIDs other than that all settings remain default. This all worked fine until as mentioned before it started getting a bit silly on tuesday.

I can see that despite being set to automatically find the best channel (no router i have ever worked with ever has) it is having a wifi knife fight with a neighbouring 5ghz router on ch36. I have since nudged the 5ghz upwards to the 100 range and then down to 60. And then back to auto.

To no avail it sadly has gotten worse, basically downright refusing any connection now and all devices report that they cannot connect. often they are asked for the wifi password repeatedly (which is verified and correct on all devices and router).

I have not rebooted the router yet. I would rather not do so during the 10 day tuning process for the line.

*updated* i picked channel 112 yesterday evening and everything ran fine until an hour later, the router decided it wasn't letting anyone connect via 5ghz. I powered up my main desktop this morning to see if it would connect. It ran fine for about 15 mins and was then booted off.

Right i think i have covered most of it but any tips would be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Not Impressed with Hub One WiFi performance - any suggestions

Moderators Note

Post released from Spam Filter

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
YorkshirePud82
Grafter

An update to the issue. I have since made the router Sync both frequencies to see how it has got on. It hasn't really improved much at all. in fact for an hour it got worse i had to try to reconnect my desktop PC 5 times in one hour.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I found it was the 2.4ghz playing up for me. I can't give an answer to your issues, but I ended up swapping my router for an old SSE router I got a few years ago, painless since. (I do like the PN router, but it is a bit glitchy).

Mark

YorkshirePud82
Grafter

another update from yesterday evening into today.

I segregated both networks again last night and left the router to decide best frequency. since then it has been behaving. all devices have stayed happily locked onto the 5ghz network.

honestly i dunno how plusnet would expect people who are not savvy to deal with this by themselves.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

HI @YorkshirePud82,

Thanks for your post.

Reading through your account of what's been going on it seems certain to me that there's a fault with that router.

I've requested a replacement be sent out that should be with you within the next 3-5 working days and will come with a prepaid returns bag for the faulty one. If you could pop it in the post when you get a chance it'd be appreciated.

Please let us know if you have any further issues at all.

YorkshirePud82
Grafter

Hi @OskarPapa

Thanks for the response. I actually got the text message notification before i read the email, i did wonder at first why i was being sent another router haha! I appreciate one being sent out. It's only fair to provide another update today though as well.

So far things have been fine. The two networks have remained happily separate and stable.

Desktop PC connecting via USB adapter is stable on the 5ghz, Android phone and tablet are automatically connecting fine when their wifi is switched on.

When i get the new router i assume it is just plug in and go just as before. Should i attempt to separate the two networks again on the new router?

One reason i chose to do this initially was so that i knew devices were using the fastest network if they could?

Thanks again!

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @YorkshirePud82

Thanks for the update - you will need to separate the frequencies on the new router as they are combined as default.

Glad things are looking better for you - worst case scenario, you can use the replacement as a spare.

Best wishes

Dave

YorkshirePud82
Grafter

Well a day on and again things are currently behaving themselves. I can still see on my wireless scanner that my hub one and my neighbours talk talk router seem to be sharing the same channels. However it doesn't seem to be an issue.

So in the interest of stability I'm loathe to tinker any further! Again i appreciate the router being sent out. I will hang onto it for the minute and see if the wireless stays stable.

I have to say the new fibre connection has been excellent though. usually getting roundabouts 37mbps down and just under 10mbps up. So great stuff on that front. Thumbs_Up