Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

None of my modems will connect in bridge mode

FIXED
dougie175
Hooked

None of my modems will connect in bridge mode

I have just moved to PlusNet and have tried to move my existing setup across but seem to have failed.

Previously my setup consisted of a HG612 modem linked to a Linksys EA8300 with Linksys RE7000's around the home to create whole house MU-MIMO 5ghz this worked perfectly.

For some reason the HG612 fails to get internet on PlusNet though, using the Hub One works fine but as it is not possible to put the Hub One into bridge mode I need to find a better solution.

After quite a bit of reading and research on here is seemed others were having great success with the T-Link TD-W9970 using it as a modem only in bridge mode so I purchased one of these, using it in PPPoE it works perfectly just link the Hub One, but when you try and set the TD-W9970 into bridge mode you no longer get the option to enter the PlusNet credentials and just like the HG612 it fails to get an internet connection.

Can anyone help me with getting this fixed, currently I have it working with the Hub One and an ethernet connection to my Linksys router but I realise this is far from ideal having 2 routers, I need to eliminate the Hub One for a modem only. Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer me

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: None of my modems will connect in bridge mode

Moderators Note

This topic has been released from the Spam filter

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dougie175
Hooked

Thanks for releasing my topic from spam much appreciated. I think I am starting to get to the bottom of the issue and it seems to be that I need to do the PPPoE user settings within the EA8300 this is something I didnt need to do with my previous ISP.

I read this topic https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Guide-Finally-Setup-Netgear-DM-200-with-Linksys-EA8300-Route... which is what helped me understand where I am going wrong

I followed the instructions below:

I was able to log back on using 192.168.1.1, Once I was logged in for me it was trying to navigate the menus looking for the settings and then I found them.

Once you are in on the left you will see Connectivity Tab, Click that and a popup window will appear, now click the internet settings tab.

If you click edit (next to where it says "Type of Internet Connection" you will get a drop down menu, Choose PPPOE, now all you need to do is put in your username/password you get when you sign up with plusnet. for example it would be username@plusdsl.net and Password, Click Apply.

Next click the VLAN tab, Turn it on and where it says Internet Trunk there will be 3 boxes you can change, make sure the ID is set to 101 and Tagged, You don't need to worry about the priority, Click Apply again then ok.

It might tell you it will reboot, once your done it should work fine.

The problem is even putting my correct PPPoE credentials in myusername@plusdsl.net and my password along with doing as suggest the VLAN set to 101 still fails to get internet.

Thanks n advance for any help anyone has

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

@dougie175

but when you try and set the TD-W9970 into bridge mode you no longer get the option to enter the PlusNet credentials and just like the HG612 it fails to get an internet connection.

That's correct, when using an HG612 modem or the W9970 in bridge mode, the router makes the PPPoE connection. That's what 'bridge mode' means, it bridges VDSL PTM connection to an Ethernet connection, allowing a router to make the PPPoE connection and get the public IP. Therefore in your case you need to set the EA8300 WAN to PPPoE and enter your PlusNet credentials.

edit: your post above crossed with mine.

You don't need to set VLAN ID on the 8300 when used with either the HG612 or the W9970, they will set the VLAN ID. In fact you need to disable the VLAN ID on the 8300.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dougie175
Hooked

Thanks for your help, yes this is what I discovered last night, but for some reason even when doing this it still seems to be failing.

When I get home from work I will take some screen shots of my EA8300 settings to see if anyone can tell me where I am going wrong

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

The HG612 modem should work fine on a Plusnet connection in bridge mode, I used one for several years with no problem. By default the HG612 is in bridge mode.

When a modem / router is in bridge mode it simply forwards traffic from the VDSL connection to the Ethernet port. It does not handle the PPP connection in this mode, hence you can't enter the PPP connection details into the router.

A modem / router in bridge mode stops at the PTM link, the PPPoE session must be handled by the downstream router.

In your case you need to connect LAN1 on the HG612 modem to the Internet / WAN port on the  Linksys EA8300 and configure the PPP connection on the Linksys EA8300.

The username should be yourusername@plusdsl.net where you substitute yourusername for your Plusnet user name and the password you use to login into the My Account section on the main Plusnet website.

dougie175
Hooked

@MisterW wrote:

edit: your post above crossed with mine.

You don't need to set VLAN ID on the 8300 when used with either the HG612 or the W9970, they will set the VLAN ID. In fact you need to disable the VLAN ID on the 8300.

Thanks I will try disabling the VLAN tonight and see if that fixes the issue.

dougie175
Hooked

@MisterW wrote:

Absolutely spot on Thank You, both the HG612 and W9970 now work by turning the VLAD off.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Great news.Smiley Happy to be of help

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.