Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Plusnet router recommendation

OhWell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Non-Plusnet router recommendation

Phoned up PN and told them I was thinking if leaving. They weren't interested in improving on their renewal offer or matching other ISPs.

So will either just stick with PN, or move to Voda or Talk talk.
philto
Grafter

all three of them are as bad as each other , strange plusnet did not offer you a deal maybe what you have now is matched  with other lower end ISPs subscriptions talk talk is an LLu system so give that a wide birth .

OhWell
Rising Star

Plusnet and all the others are LLU as well?

The renewal offer is £2 more than the offer new joiners currently get for 18 months, plus they also get a £70 reward card.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@OhWell 

You. are very very unlikely to get a renewal offer that takes the reward card value into consideration.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OhWell
Rising Star

Plusnet sent another renewal offer, matching the new joiner price, but minus the £70 Reward Card.  Think this might be as good as I will get from PN.

I was nearly going to pull the trigger on switching to Voda, but they seem to have very bad customer service.

As for 3rd party router, I'm looking at a TP-Link or FritzBox one.  Any more for any more?

Cheers.

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I use a Draytek 2762n which has been rock solid and reliable, although not as easy to setup as a typical home modem router. I got one from ebay brand new for about £70 when my TP Link W9980 started to go nuts (I've had several TP Links and they've all gone 'bad' after about 4 years for some reason.

OhWell
Rising Star

I was actually now thinking of maybe the TP-Link VR2800. Seems to get good reviews, but is kinda pricey. Although future proofed so should last until FTTP (if it ever happens)

The ones you hard that went bad, do you think it was due to hardware, or a dodgy firmware update?
orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

One was an older ADSL modem router had issues with wifi and devices connected stopped working despite resets etc...the other (a different model) started to have issues connecting to the VDSL reliably and kept losing sync. Two different models and two different problems, both happened at about the 3.5 year old mark. Firmware had been kept up to date but wasn't the issue due to failed update etc.

I like TP Link products but have been a bit unfortunate on the longer term reliability.

I think it doesn't help that TP Link make so many models and keep revising the same models so actually they don't have a very long active selling lifespan and support is not as good as it could be. Some companies seem to offer far more regular updates for older models.

OhWell
Rising Star

I am tempted by Talk Talk broadband as well, but have a nasty feeling their customer service will be bad, and activation might not go smoothly.

I really need internet connectivity at home at the moment for work, so not sure if the risk vs cheap is worth it.
Simon_F
Grafter

@OhWell wrote:
So will either just stick with PN, or move to Voda or Talk talk.

I know it's a sample size of "1" so not very good statistically speaking,  but a nearby neighbour has TalkTalk and has not had a good experience.

Perhaps looking at the deals listed on, say, moneysavingexpert or comparethemarket, might provide some useful leverage 😉

philto
Grafter

you look for cheap you get cheap

philto
Grafter

if it is now LLU that will explain the slow speeds

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@OhWell 

You may well have sourced a replacement router but if not, I've had two Drayteks (an original 2820 and a 2860 for "fibre" (VDSL) support) and I would recommend a Draytek.

You have to be careful on model selection (some don't have WiFi as it is primarily a business device) but they have both been excellent as has been occasional interaction with Draytek's UK support.

You can sometimes find good deals secondhand.

I am the satisfied customer....