Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Plusnet router recommendation

OhWell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Non-Plusnet router recommendation

Hi all,

Thinking of buying my own VDSL fibre router to use instead of the Plusnet One hub thing.

Any recommendations on make/model?
27 REPLIES 27
cOmp
Rising Star

Re: Non-Plusnet router recommendation

I use a draytek Vigor 130 with a Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC4000.

I also read the the AVM FRITZ!Box is a solid option.
Yorkshire and Proud. Embarrassed to be with Plusnet.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
philto
Grafter

draytek 2862 with LTE for load balancing

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@OhWell 

Two questions that are key before you consider suggestions:

1. Why? That is, what are the issues that you are having with your Hub One? For example, problems with your WiFi, need a guest network, need to be able to select your own choice of DNS servers, need on board VPN etc.

2. What's your budget?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OhWell
Rising Star

1. No real burning issue, just I've read you can get a bit more throughput performance with a non-isp one. Guessing ISPs tend to use the cheapest hardware anyway. Also the big blue led annoys me, even on low.

2. Well, I was looking at some TP Link ones on Amazon (AC1600 I think), at around £70 would not want to go higher than that.

Would I be able to use these routers on other ISPs like Sky etc if I ever changed in the future?

Cheers.
Baldrick1

@OhWell wrote:
1. No real burning issue, just I've read you can get a bit more throughput performance with a non-isp one. Guessing ISPs tend to use the cheapest hardware anyway. Also the big blue led annoys me, even on low.

The Plusnet Hub One is an old BT Home Hub 5A with tweeked flaky firmware so that can certainly be improved upon. The BT Smarthub 6, which replaced this old Hub for BT customers is a far better device. If all that you need is better WiFi and the ability to turn the blue light off then these can be picked up for about £20 from auction sits such as Ebay. Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

2. Well, I was looking at some TP Link ones on Amazon (AC1600 I think), at around £70 would not want to go higher than that.
Would I be able to use these routers on other ISPs like Sky etc if I ever changed in the future?

TP Link make good low cost devices, I can't comment on whether it would give you any better performance.

Whether you could use it with another ISP depends on the ISP. Some lock their services to a hub that they issue to customers.

One final point if you are going to shop around: You need a combined ADSL/VDSL modem/router to connect to Plusnet broadband NOT a simple router, else you also need to buy a modem.

Moderator and Customer

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I've had several TP Link modem routers and they've all worked well but all pretty much gone nuts after about 3 years, requiring replacement, now I have a Draytek 2762 which is very reliable.

Some modem routers will work with Sky I believe and pretty much every other ISP allows you to use your own modem of choice.

Don't be surprised if you get no noticable improvement if you replace the Plusnet router, assuming you're not having any real problems currently. You might get a slightly better sync speed with the exchange which could increase download speeds but a tiny amount but don't expect much.

If you don't already do so, plugging the modem into a split DSL / Phone master socket could help improve connectivity and means no nasty filters required, again assuming your current setup isn't like this and again, it may not make much difference.

philto
Grafter

i would not bother with sky over subscribed like the rest of the cheaper end of the isp market also as far as i can remember they was using mac stacking so you had to use the router they provided,

OhWell
Rising Star

I guess i could move to BT and get the new hub for free anyway, even though BT prices for newbies aren't that great. There is also Vodafone which do a different router?

Silly question, but when my contract says it ends on the 11th, does that mean I would need the new one to start on the 12th or 11th?
Baldrick1

@OhWell wrote:
I guess i could move to BT and get the new hub for free anyway, even though BT prices for newbies aren't that great. There is also Vodafone which do a different router?

If you go to BT they no longer give you a Smarthub, they effectively loan you one. If you don't send it back when you leave they bill you for it.

Try quoting Vodaphone prices to Plusnet, chances are they will match them.

Silly question, but when my contract says it ends on the 11th, does that mean I would need the new one to start on the 12th or 11th?

I have no idea. If you change ISPs it's unlikely that the changeover will actully occur on your chosen date anyway. Whilst it can be requested it depends on Openreach technician availability. If you stay with Plusnet it just carries on.

Moderator and Customer

philto
Grafter

plus net is owned by bt

OhWell
Rising Star

It is, but they are still separate companies.

If BT don't let you keep the router, I might as well pick another ISP offering a better deal then, and buy my own router.

This is all becoming a ballache like car insurance is, having to change every year or else get ripped off!
Baldrick1

@philto wrote:

plus net is owned by bt

See https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news/technology-news/2019/11/plusnet-ceo-steps-down-company-moves-bt...

Moderator and Customer

OhWell
Rising Star

Didn't know EE was also under the BT umbrella as well.

They scored quite high in customer service in an article I read!