cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy router, router reboots

sw4mpl0rd
Grafter

Noisy router, router reboots

Hi there, I recently moved house and was sent a new router. Since then it's been making a pretty loud screeching sound and it seems to be rebooting most days.

Is there a way to get a replacement as it's driving me round the bend!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Noisy router, router reboots

Thanks for getting in touch @sw4mpl0rd,.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of this noise issue.

In the first instance, we'd recommend splitting the 2.4ghz from the 5ghz and then disabling the 5ghz to see if this remedies the issue:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a WiFi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4Ghz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

Please let us know how you get on.

sw4mpl0rd
Grafter

Hi, I've disabled 5 ghz and the noise is still there..along with a sort of sizzling sound.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to me @sw4mpl0rd.

Are you able to run through those instructions again? I appreciate the inconvenience however the internal router software isn't showing that any changes have taken place. It's a real time tool that we use and so with you already completing this it does look like the settings haven't applied as expected, so we'd need to give it another go ensuring that we click 'Apply'

Please let me know how you get on,

sw4mpl0rd
Grafter

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly @sw4mpl0rd.

We did indeed register the change in settings this time.

I've just sent you further information via your account which is accessible here.

Please let me know here if you need any further assistance.