cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy hub one

mairime

Noisy hub one

Hi,

I have the same issue others have experienced with the Hub One being noisy when devices are connected to it using the 5GHz connection.  It is not an option for me to turn off the 5GHz, and I don't feel I should have to either as it is clearly a fault and lots of people on this forum have had their router replaced because of it.  I've tried online support regarding this issue and they've refused to replace it, which leads me to the conclusion that I will have to either leave when my contract is up in December or pay to leave just now, because the cost of paying the cancellation fee is less than it would cost me to buy a new router that is fit for purpose. I would much rather stay with Plusnet and not have the hassle of moving, so I'm hoping someone on the forum can help me with this.

Look forward to hearing from someone, thanks

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Noisy hub one

Hi there @mairime,

I'm sorry to hear you're considering leaving us based off the router noise.

We've reviewed this with our router manufacturer and they have deemed the sound is within acceptable and permissive tolerances.

In the nature of feedback, could you elaborate further on why it is not an option for you to deactivate the 5ghz?

mairime

Hi 

As far as I can work out, some of my devices only seem to want to connect to the 5GHz. Also, it's a feature of the router that I think I should be able to use without issue, considering it's meant to work, and is in the specs.  I don't think I should have to use a router that I've basically hobbled in order to compensate for a manufacturing issue. The noise can be quite distracting, and the WiFi also drops out at some points (not the internet connection, specifically the WiFi), although I'm unsure if this is related to the noise issue. I've disabled the devices that were using the same channels as the router, and that issue persists.

I have been on numerous pages of the forum where people have the same issue and their routers have been replaced without any hassle, so I'm not looking for special treatment, just the same as everyone else has received. Considering the people who have had issues often post that the new router is fine, this is clearly a fault, and considering that people are still posting in 2019 and still having their routers replaced, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same.

Many thanks

mairime

I should also add, I've reset the router, and it's still doing this.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again @mairime

In regards to the occasional wifi drop, there could be something causing some minor interference at the time that causes the occasional drop. For me, things like my microwave being turned on in the kitchen can give the wireless a little nudge.

While I appreciate the noise may be irritating at times, it doesn't impact the functionality of the router.

When this was initially reported we we're open to replacing the router as part of troubleshooting the issue with the vendor. However since that time, it's been recognised that the issue isn't service affecting.

mairime

In that case, what do I about the wifi dropping issue. Because it'll do it with only me in the house, no microwave on, nothing changing at all, including when I'm just sitting on the sofa with no other devices doing anything. No timed devices, no scheduled downloads, nothing. Would like to get this sorted while the contract is running, but will be leaving after this, as it's frustrating to receive a different level of service to other customers, even if the manufacturer insists there's no fault (which is a bit suspicious considering they're the ones suffering financially if they admit a fault).

Thanks

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ultimately flawless wireless connectivity isn't something we guarantee, dropouts do occur from time to time on even the most interference free broadcasts.

My first suggestion would be to take a look at our wireless troubleshooting guides HERE.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@mairime 

You can get a Smarthub 6 from Ebay for about £20. They are not noisy. Setting instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'