cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Router

craigwhelan

Noisy Router

Hi

A bit of a plea for advice/help...I've been unable to contact support via online chat (unavailable?) and am limited as to when I can call.

I've noticed noise from the router - particularly when downloading; hard to describe but like a buzzing. I had read elsewhere on the forum of routers being replaced and considered faulty - what's the correct procedure to acquire a replacement?

The noise is annoying certainly not sure if it's an indication of a failing device. Unsure if this coincides with devices seemingly becoming disconnected from the network, our Hive connected devices regularly going offline of late, could be a separate issue but seems a bit off that all the bulbs appear offline at various points during a week/day.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Noisy Router

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, just before we look at replacing the router could you try a factory reset for us please? https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
craigwhelan

Hi Adam

Thanks for the suggestion to reset to factory; I've completed this without improvement.

What would be the next step in diagnosis or evaluation of the issue?

Thanks

Craig

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @craigwhelan,

Thank you for trying the factory reset. I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't resolved the noisy router issue.

The next thing that we'd recommend would be to split the wireless bands as this often resolves this sort of issue. You can do this by going through the following steps:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

Please let us know if this doesn't resolve the problem.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
craigwhelan

Hi EmilyD

Thanks for the suggestion; in an effort not to disrupt the household I've turned off the 5Ghz wireless for now (I've assumed this is as good as isolating the bands); this has had a positive impact - no audible noise from the router.

However, as one may imagine, slightly inconvenient having no 5Ghz and having two networks for each device to connect to isn't ideal.

Would you see this as a long term solution or a confirmation there's an issue with the router?

Thanks

Craig

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Craig.

Switching off the 5GHz frequency is a long term solution if you don't mind not using it. Regarding the noise, unfortunately this doesn't indicate a fault with the router as we've found that it's within acceptable tolerances.

My colleague Alex posted a lengthy explanation about this here after discussing this with our products team.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
craigwhelan

Hi Anoush

Thanks for the rapid response - and thanks for the link to the write up further to discussion with the product team.

Obviously it's not an isolated case and one would assume the noise is not an intended feature of the router. The noise is disruptive, unsatisfactory, and doesn't benefit the performance of the router - by definition would be considered a fault.

Thanks to yourself and the team for the help so far; the suggestions to workaround although viable are not the conclusion I'm looking for (a quiet router, capable of supporting the features as by design). I'll endeavour to work with the team via the phone as part of upcoming contract renewals.

Thanks

Craig.