Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Router

FIXED
fire3
Hooked

Noisy Router

I’ve just switched to plusnet, all is great apart from the router I have been given makes a grinding noise! 

Ive tried to call customer services a number of times but have yet to get through, any ideas on how to fix it or how to get a replacement as it’s driving me nuts!

32 REPLIES 32
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Noisy Router

Fix

Hi @fire3,

Welcome to Plusnet and to our community forum. I'm sorry that your router has been making a grinding noise and for any inconvenience that this has caused you. This is a known issue that has unfortunately affected a small proportion of our routers recently.

I've sent you out a new router and it'll be with you within 3-5 working days. Please let  us know if there's anything else that you'd like us to look into.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
BiffaDaly

Hi there,

My router is also making a weird noise which is only noticeable when it's under load from wireless devices.

Is there any chance mine could be replaced?
fire3
Hooked

Hi Emily

many thanks for that, do I need to send the old one back to you.

kindest regards 

Adam

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @fire3,

Thanks for getting back to us, you can return to us at the office by following the outlined instructions in this thread here.

Please get back to us if you need any further assistance. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @BiffaDaly,

Sorry to hear your router is behaving in this manner. I will certainly look into this and get back to you on your other thread here.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
markstacey83

My router is also noisey, can I have a replacement too please?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @markstacey,

The noise the router is making could be caused due to the 5Ghz Wi-Fi frequency being in use, and I've included a guide below on how to disable this feature to see if it helps:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.
2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'
3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.
4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4Ghz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

Please note that if you disable the 5Ghz frequency, the standard 2.4Ghz frequency will still be in use and Wi-Fi connections should still work as normal. Please let us know if this helps or not and if it hasn't we can look into arranging a replacement be sent out.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
fire3
Hooked

Well I have had the replacement router for a couple of weeks and this too has developed the noise fault! 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @fire3, I'm sorry to hear that's the case. Have you tried disabling the 5Ghz frequency using the guide I posted in my previous post on this thread?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
fire3
Hooked

Hi, yes I’ve tried disabling the 5GHz and resetting it but it’s still noisy.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Have you disabled the 5ghz after resetting the router?

By default if you reset the router you'll have enabled it again

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
fire3
Hooked

Yes I disabled it again after a reset, still makes a noise.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @fire3

I've arranged for a further replacement to be dispatched. Let's hope you fare better with this one!

Best wishes

Dave

markstacey83

Thanks for the instructions. I've changed the settings and the nose is reduced, but it still isn't silent. I'd rather be able to use the 5GHz channel and remove the red warning light from the front of the router anyway, so can we arrange for a replacement router please?

Thanks,
Mark