cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Router

gregh

Noisy Router

Hi

Just got fibre broadband for the first time a few weeks ago.

However, my router is annoyingly noisy.

It's an electrical buzzing noise, like when a computer is reading a hard drive.

I can't imagine it's normal, and I've seen a few similar posts on here.

Any ideas how I can fix it, or do I have a faulty router?

Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Noisy Router

Another one!

Plusnet must have a duff batch. Contact them and ask for a replacement.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @gregh

Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry to hear that you've got a noisy router there.

I've arranged for a returns bag and a replacement router to be issued - please let us know how you get on once the replacement arrives.

Best Wishes,

Dave

gregh

Thanks very much!!

Honelace

Yup, here too - like constant radio static in the background. Plus random disconnects at inconvenient times. No response when I emailed about it (in reply to another complaint I had). Been with plusnet 3 months now, on my second router and was without a phone line for a week...not impressed.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Honelace and welcome to the Community Forums.

I've sent you a replacement router and returns bag out of which both should arrive within the next 3-5 working days for you.

I must re-assure you and any further customers who may continue on this thread that the buzzing Hub One router issue isn't service effecting and usually caused when the 5Ghz wireless is working at high load. Yes the noise isn't ideal but there are steps that can be taken to mitigate and in most cases completely stop that in disabling the additional 5Ghz wireless frequency or splitting up the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency and solely using the standard 2.4Ghz. The steps on how to do so can be located below. There is always the chance that the router you receive generates the same noise when working at high load and therefor I'd recommend the steps if so.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4Ghz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

VinceMarsters
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@BD Disabling the 5GHz channel is a workaround to a bad design in the router and is effectively nobbling one of the 'selling points' of the router too - dual band wifi. I'm lucky in my router is so far not affected but disabling 5GHz would cause me problems due to the amount of wifi devices I have (thank Amazon Alexa and a multitude of smart home devices).