cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Router

Mote
Hooked

Noisy Router

Hi, I’ve upgraded to fibre and set up my router. However, it’s seriously annoyingly noisy.

It’s not coil whine, it sounds like crickets going nuts in there when streaming etc.

Anyone with similar issue? How did you rectify it?

Cheers
13 REPLIES 13
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Noisy Router

Do you have any devices that are connected to the router over 5ghz?

If you don't know how to do this just click here and it should tell

If so it's a known issue but I don't think there's a fix other than only connecting over 2.4ghz 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I remember getting that noise from 5Ghz on the Hub One when a lot of data was being moved around. It comes up a lot here. 

Some try swapping the router out successfully but most either get a different brand of router or failing that try to adapt to the noise.

Mote
Hooked

I don’t see that you should ‘adapt’ to a faulty product sorry. If PlusNet are supplying a faulty unit they should replace it. Looks like I’ll need to get into the phone queue Sad took an hour to get through last time!

Mote
Hooked

Hi Matthew,

Yes we have devices connecting under 5Ghz. The router is obviously faulty though and highly irritating. How do I go about getting it replaced?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

While I do sincerely apologise for any irritation this may cause you, I'm afraid replacing the router is not likely to resolve the issue and I'm sorry to say we wouldn't be able to replace a router for this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Mote
Hooked

So let me get this straight. A product fails to work correctly and you won’t replace it or sort it out? Is that what you are saying? As that isn’t an answer I’m afraid.

I’ve looked up previous threads and you have replaced in the past. I want a replacement or I’ll kick off on this one as I’m seriously past the point with you guys.

To supply a product that isn’t up to the task is utterly unacceptable. If my car/phone/oven/you name it, made a squealing noise when all other types of that product don’t, that is a faulty product in any language.

So what I want here is a new router, one that doesn’t squeal or we need to cancel my contract with you as I see this as a breach of contract.

So much for ‘we make you proud’, so far you’ve made me simply annoyed (with awful customer service, stupidly long telephone wait times, no chat available online, stupid emails, and now a faulty product...).

Can I get a reply that solves the issue rather than one that says ‘tough’ the supplies routers are [-Censored-], live with it!
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I think maybe what Harry's trying to say is if they sent you another Hub One it would make the same noise on 5Ghz so replacing it unfortunately wouldn't be of any value. I remember the same.

You can pick up better routers on Amazon/Ebay that, as well as being more feature rich, don't make the noise on 5Ghz. I went for a TP-Link one that I liked & so went on to get one of their switches too. http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html is a good place to compare routers.

Mote
Hooked

I get that, but I was offered a router as part of a package and I expect one to work properly. If these don’t, then I expect one that does.

I don’t get the idea that, hey that’s what that does, go spend more money on something that does. That’s just plain wrong.

Even if something is apparently supplied free (nothing is free), then it must work or be refunded/replaced/sorted.

This isn’t good enough. If I ran my business on those lines I wouldn’t have one for very long.

I simply don’t understand why people on here say, just get another one... why should I? I expect the supplied one to work within a range of acceptable parameters. I’m not expecting the best router in the work, that would be daft, but a router that squeals while you’re watching a film is not one that works.
aramil
Dabbler

I have had two BT Home Hub 5a's and a Plus Hub one with exactly this issue on the 5Ghz wifi (mostly), it is an issue with the original design, and as BT stated to me at the time the noise "while audable, was still within acceptable limits" (who knows).

I know that the second bt hub was marginly better but not by much. I spent some time trying to get BT to sort it, without any real success (hense the two HH5), as others have said, it works at what it does, and it is not the only piece of older tech wifi equiptment out there that wines on 5ghz.

I have recently upgraded to a BT Smart HUB 6 which is an inert rock "sound wise"  (no noise at all), still on PlusNet just using the "SH6" 

dgw1
Dabbler

If someone was to turn the 5ghz radio off on the router, would they realistically see any drop in speed or quality of connection? As far as I am aware internet traffic (even fibre) is still slow by today's technology standards, and as such can't 2.4ghz more than cope with it?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It still seems to me like a fault with a certain batch of the Hub Ones.

We've got one, use Wi-Fi, and no noticed any problems.

I am not saying that to gloat, but my sister and niece use the room (right near the router) to watch TV, and trust me if my sister noticed the router was making a noise I would know about it. Knuppel

Mote
Hooked

Thanks for that info, that will help when I speak to PlusNet on the phone (when I can psyche myself up to do it)...
aramil
Dabbler

It's not a batch issue, it's how/what is connected and the amount of traffic. Quiet ones generally are only connected to with 2.4Ghz, although some people do seem to be very lucky (and a minority), and the audible issue on every hub seems so variable, it can only be bad Q.C....

There have been threads on this subject since the HH5 (which is what the Hub one is) was released.

Noisy-Home-Hub-5

Second hub better but still makes noise

Home-Hub-5-noise-issue-anyone-else

Your best bet is to badger them until they send a "quieter one" (which is what id did with BT)