cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Plusnet One Hub

timpnoble

Noisy Plusnet One Hub

Hi,
I've seen a couple of other threads regarding this, but I haven't seen any recent ones.

When using the 5Ghz connection, my router makes an incredibly loud noise. Sound so loud that it's audible over anything being used in the room - TV, speakers etc...

It's actually become so bad that I tried moving the router into another room but the signal in the living room, where most of the devices are used in the house, suffered. And the living room is the room with the phone line.

Is there anything Plusnet can do? Is there a router that doesn't make a noise when it is in use? Or at least a way to make it run quieter - it's becoming unbearable.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
6 REPLIES 6
timpnoble

Re: Noisy Plusnet One Hub

I'm also noticing a real lack of WiFi signal and reduced speed but I'm unsure if this is related.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @timpnoble

Thanks for getting in touch.

We're aware that some Hub Ones have a tendency to generate noise when using the 5ghz frequency. Although the noise can be noticeably louder than usual it doesn't impact on the performance of the router itself.

In order to resolve this, you can simply disable the 5ghz frequency from within the router's internal menu which is accessed by entering 192.168.1.254 into an internet browser. You'll need to navigate to "Advanced" and then "Wireless/Wifi".

It's worth noting that you can also change the wifi channel in this section which may help with the wifi performance issues that you've identified. I'd recommend stepping through the channels with a few hours in between each selection to allow the router to establish a stable connection.

Let me know how you get on.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@RandallFlagg wrote:

Hi @timpnoble

In order to resolve this, you can simply disable the 5ghz frequency from within the router's internal menu which is accessed by entering 192.168.1.254 into an internet browser. You'll need to navigate to "Advanced" and then "Wireless/Wifi".

So is it now the policy of Plusnet that when an important feature of a router fails to perform in an acceptable manner to shrug the corporate shoulders and say "turn it off and live without it"? Wouldn't a company that 'does you proud' say "sorry this is a known inherent problem with some routers, we'll replace it free of charge"?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

timpnoble

I agree with @Baldrick1 I have different internet enabled devices running on both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz connections.

I've tried your suggestion and the noise is no better. Other people who have complained have been offered a replacement router straight away.

Can I ask why my case is any different to those?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Don't give up just because of the response to your post on this forum. I would go back to Plusnet and formally record that the router they have supplied is, by their own admission in telling you to disable features to try to get acceptable performance, not fit for purpose.

If that doesn't get a positive response then raise a formal complaint.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@timpnoble, looks like a replacement is on it's way to you? If you don't mind the hassle, it would be good to get the malfunctioning unit back so I can take a look at it. Do you think you'd be able to send it to the office marked for my attention? Happy to apply some credit to your account to cover the cost of postage.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵