cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No net connection when going through switch, fine direct to modem

Lung

No net connection when going through switch, fine direct to modem

I have Plusnet adsl Internet with a home ethernet setup. The ethernet was fine but the WiFi was pretty poor with constant cutting out due to the free Sagemcom router being awful, so I got a BT home hub 5. The WiFi on the new Hub is fine, and the ethernet works if plugged directly from my patch panel into the Hub, but if I plug the hub into my switch first, it won't connect to any of my devices. The switch LEDs are lit showing they are connected to devices, but the devices can't see the network. I've rebooted both Hub and Switch multiple times. I've put my old modem back in and it works fine with the switch and all cables etc exactly the same.
2 REPLIES 2
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: No net connection when going through switch, fine direct to modem

hmm, that's a bizarre issue.  What switch are you using?

Have you tried turning off 'Smart Setup' on the Home Hub 5 to see if it makes a difference?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Lung

Re: No net connection when going through switch, fine direct to modem

Turns out it was as simple as the cable going from the router to the switch. I was using an unlabeled cable as I had been using previously, so I put the new cable that came with the router and all is fine.