cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet on WiFi connections, cable connections fine

DStanley1809

No internet on WiFi connections, cable connections fine

I've had Plusnet since last December.  Right off the bat I found a frequent issue with all my WiFi devices losing their internet connections.  The WiFi connection to the router was fine, there was just no internet. Any devices connected by an ethernet cable remained functioning fine. 

I called the support phoneline several times who advised that I reset the router by pressing something in to the reset button on the back. This never "fixed" the issue, just got it up and running again until it stopped again. After a few phone calls to the support line I was sent a new router in January I think. 

All was well until this week.  The issue has come back and seems worse than before. Even after resetting the router my WiFi devices continue to experience problems with connectivity.  Sometimes the devices can't reconnect to the router (the Amazon Echo is particularly bad for this but it's happened with a laptop too), sometimes they connect and say they have an internet connection but still can't load any web content.

I've separated out the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks after seeing a few things online suggesting this but this hasn't helped at all.  I've only connected one device to the 5Ghz network and everything else remained on the 2.4Ghz network.  The device on the 5Ghz has the same issue as the ones on the 2.4Ghz one. Not all devices experience the issue at the same time. It could be one device, two devices or all of them. Again, all the devices connected by ethernet experience no problems at all.

Can anyone help with this?  I saw the chat support on the Plusnet website is down and the phone says to only call if necessary to help prioritise vulnerable people. This doesn't seem urgent enough to potentially tie up a phone operative who might be better served helping someone else but it's really, really frustrating.

I've attached screenshots from my phone showing this.  These are all just the last 2 days and one device!

5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: No internet on WiFi connections, cable connections fine

What devices do you have on ethernet?   Do you use TPlink powerline adapters?

Is it possible for you to unplug all ethernet devices from the hub and observe whether the No Internet on Wifi issue returns?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
DStanley1809

I have a confession to make - my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks are no longer separated.  The separation was deleted when I reset the router using the button on the back.  I didn't realise until today.  However, I only reset the router because I had the issue I described. I'll have to re-separate them and see if the situation is better.

I have no powerline adapters.  I have three PC's upstairs (two personal and a work one brought home due to current work from home requirements) and an Xbox One in the living room connected by ethernet.  My house has ethernet cabling run inside the walls to several rooms.  The cables go directly from the router to sockets on the wall which then go off to each room where they terminate in sockets on the wall. The cables go directly from these sockets to the devices. There's no switches or hubs etc. 

It's not possible to disconnect all devices from the ethernet. At the very least the work PC MUST remain connected.  It can be unplugged for short periods of time but since this issue happens at random and with no warning it's not possible to leave it disconnected for a long time to to monitor the WiFi.  

bill888
Champion

I had been thinking along the lines that a device (probably ethernet wired) was causing your 'random' wifi issues on both 2.4 and 5 GHz.   It is unlikely your hardwired PCs and xbox are responsible.

There is a known issue with 5 GHz wifi with the Hub One.  See post pinned at the top of this 'Router' sub forum for beta firmware fix.

If the problem randomly affection wifi devices persists with both 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi and you can demonstrate the Hub One is faulty and persuade Plusnet to send you a replacement under the 1 year guarantee, the only other suggestion is to try a 'different model' wifi router such as the popular BT Smart Hub v1 (2016+ model).  It is often recommended on this forum (and unofficially by Plusnet agents).  They cost as little as a tenner off eBay.

bill888
Champion

One other suggestion is for the wifi devices which have wifi connection but no internet access, to check the IP settings on the device.  ie. for Hub One (default IP is: 192.168.1.254)

IP address (192.168.1.x)

Default gateway (192.168.1.254)

DNS (192.168.1.254)

Also to try the following commands from the 'cmd' prompt to see if there is any response

ping 192.168.1.254

ping 8.8.8.8

DStanley1809

Thanks. I'll take a look at the pinned post again. It seems I missed the firmware fix.

I've already had a replacement router last December but I think I've now lost faith in the Plusnet router. It seems to be junk. It's been nearly a year since I first had this problem and they still can't fix it? Not good.

I've discussed using a different router with my partner and she's not keen on the idea incase we have any other kind of problem. She's worried about not receiving any support if we have to phone up for something else if we're not using their router, which I think is reasonable.

I can't see us staying with Plusnet once the contract expires!