Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Wi-Fi / Access Error: 500 -- Internal Server Error

subi211
Dabbler

No Wi-Fi / Access Error: 500 -- Internal Server Error

Hi all,

Got back from holiday yesterday, turned on the router and found we couldn't see our Wi-Fi.  We could still use wired connections and the router was connected to the internet, but not our laptops or phones.  When I tried to get on the router on 192.168.1.254 I got "Access Error: 500 -- Internal Server Error".

Some Googling led me to try 10.0.0.138/cgi/webroot/?be=0&l0=0&l1=-1 which got me on and I was able to do a factory reset.  Unfortunately this has not solved either problem.

Product Name: TG582n

Software Release: 10.2.5.2

Can anyone help us out?

9 REPLIES 9
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: No Wi-Fi / Access Error: 500 -- Internal Server Error

Hi @subi211,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced this issue with your connection. Having reviewed your account today, I can see that the connection was down for the last few days, but does now appear to be back up and running. Is this also the case for the Wi-Fi side of things now, or is there still an issue on that front? If there is still an issue with the Wi-Fi, are you able to try a different router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
subi211
Dabbler

No, I've only just discovered that we have the problem.  The only reason the connection has not been used for the last few days is because we've been away.

We could always connect to the internet, the only problems we have are no wi-fi and the error when trying to connect to the router through 192.168.1.254.

We have no other router to try, and factory resetting the router has not solved the issue.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I'm not familiar with that router myself, but what is the status of the wifi light?

Wi-Fi / off Wi-Fi's off
Wi-Fi / red Wi-Fi's on but Wi-Fi security's off
Wi-Fi / yellow Wi-Fi's on and Wi-Fi security's on using WEP
Wi-Fi / green Wi-Fi's on and Wi-Fi security's on using WPA or WPA2
Wi-Fi / flashing green It's transferring data

If it's green and none of your devices are seeing your SSID, then I wonder if the wifi card has failed in the router...?

Being as you've carried out a reset, could it be the fact that your looking for the wrong SSID (it will now be the default SSID), obviously only if you ever changed it previously.

subi211
Dabbler

I'm not familiar with that router myself

It's the one that PlusNet supplied to us.  Smiley

but what is the status of the wifi light?

It's off, and no pressing of it will get it to come on.  The router is not visible in any devices list on any wireless device I have available.

I've never changed the SSID.

I did wonder if the wi-fi card had failed, but that wouldn't explain the error I get when trying to access 192.168.1.254 through a wired connection.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Yes, I know whom issued it to you, just never used one of those myselfWink

Being as you've reset it, and the light is off, then I'd have to say the router is showing it's age, thus needs retiring.

I also can't explain the error when logging into it via a wired device, but again this could be the router starting to give up.

You might need to speak to plusnet to discuss replacing it. As it's old it will be out of warranty, they may ask you to renew your contract and thus have one supplied free (with postal costs on top, unless you haggle on this). Or you could source your own router.

But please wait to see if others suggest a better solution/fix:)

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @subi211,

Thanks for confirming this information. Having read this thread, a replacement router is most likely going to be needed. I've raised a ticket on your account discussing this further, which can be viewed here. Please let us know once you've has the chance to read and respond to the ticket so that we may pick this back up for further review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
subi211
Dabbler

Yes, I know whom issued it to you, just never used one of those myselfWink

Fair enough, just making sure.  Smiley

Or you could source your own router.

Yes, if the router is dead I'll do that.  I've been meaning to for a while, I could do with one with a longer range and more ethernet ports anyway.  It's just that networking is not my forte, so I didn't want to have to do more than I have to to configure it.  Smiley

But please wait to see if others suggest a better solution/fixSmiley

Yep, I'm going to give this a couple of days then think about a replacement.  Smiley

subi211
Dabbler

I've raised a ticket on your account discussing this further,

@TheMightyAJ Thank you!  I shall have a think about the options.  Smiley

DS
Seasoned Champion

Yes, I know whom issued it to you, just never used one of those myself

Fair enough, just making sure.

Yes, it's certainly worth checking

Or you could source your own router.

Yes, if the router is dead I'll do that.  I've been meaning to for a while, I could do with one with a longer range and more ethernet ports anyway.  It's just that networking is not my forte, so I didn't want to have to do more than I have to to configure it

Now, it's entirely up to you, but some of us (forum users) have been using a BT Hub 6. These can be picked up for as little as £20 or under, brand new (and boxed) on ebay. If you do decide to go via this route then you need to make sure it is a FTTC router and not a FTTP router. The Hub6 also works on an ADSL connection too. This router has, imho, better wifi capabilities and connects at a faster rate. It gives you 4 ethernet ports too.

Or, possibly go via the method/offer from Plusnet. At least this way you will have a warranty with their router, whereas the ebay route doesn't really give to a warranty period as such, maybe a week or two at most.

(there are posts on how to connect a hub 6 to the plusnet network, as it does need some tweaking to get it to work, whereas a plusnet router will work out the box)