cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet on other routers

Monzta

No Internet on other routers

I decided to upgrade my Plusnet Hub One router to something better as I struggle to get decent connection in the house and my daughter needs it to do school work when studying from home.

I bought a suitable TP-Link one that worked fine for a week or so then suddenly lost internet connection. All the devices in the house can connect to it but it won't connect to the internet.

After much fiddling around I decided that the router must have failed so put it back in the box and reconnected the Hub One and all was good again.

As I still had the problem with good signal I bought a brand new BT Hub 6 as I read that they're a good direct replacement for the Hub One with much better signal strength. I connected it up today and once again, that can't connect to the internet either. Plugged the Hub One back in and it works as normal.

So how is it the Hub One connects to the web but two other brand new ones don't? What am I missing? 😕

6 REPLIES 6
Sparkrace22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: No Internet on other routers

@Monzta

Changed my Plusnet one hub a month ago as so slow

For my TP Link Archer V600 Ac 2100, I used the identical SSID for my broadband service and same password, to make it  exactly the same for 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz

Internet Connection Type PPPoE

DSL modem router, make current

I used Tether to set my TP LInk up

I also set my channels up to 1 and 36 for 5Ghz

Mine is perfect jumped from the minimum of 24 to max speed for my line around 48/49mbps, incrdible wish had upgraded router before

Hope this helps to get your Tp link working

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Unlike @Sparkrace22 I used to set up my TP link router to have slightly different SSID by adding a _5 to the 5Ghz one.

However I doubt if its the WiFi part that is giving you grief. How you do you get on with an ethernet connection. Does that connect? Funny enough the boy had this exact same problem  (couple of days ago) with his computer which turned out to be an end of subscription on his virus prog (Zonealarm Extreme Security). For some reason it would allow local network connections but totally nuked his internet connection. I simply removed it and it was all up and running again.

I would look at the authentication part...closely. Also was the IP range the same between the various routers? For instance the IP range of my TP Link and the Fritzbox routers are totally different between them. That might (or might not) play a part in your problems. What OS you running?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Monzta 

Because the TP Link apparently died it doesn't mean there is any similarity with you failing to connect your Smarthub 6.

A couple of things to note:

1. Some early versions of Smarthub firmware do not like special characters in your Plusnet user name. If you use any then log into your Plusnet account and change it to alpha numeric only. Ignore any messages about using a special character. Don't worry about your Hub One, it should automatically pick up the new user name if you decide to use it. The firmware will update automatically soon after it is connected.

2. Follow the linked instructions noting that you MUST NOT plug the DSL cable in until instructed.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Sparkrace22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

reason I used same SSID is because of numerous items connected, eg Hive such an exercise to change everything
Just went for the simplest option for now, but it will be changed eventually
I also use mcafee which comes with my subscription
Monzta

Thanks for all your replies folks, a lot of it went over my head but I have now managed to get the BT Hub 6 connected. Once I'd found the setup and managed to put in my PlusNet details then it all worked fine.

I'll have another go with the TP-Link modem and see if I can get it to connect. I think it's duff though as the problems started with it after a power cut. Maybe a power surge fritzed something inside.