cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightmare trying to setup TP-Link Archer VR200

gokiwi
Hooked

Nightmare trying to setup TP-Link Archer VR200

So I have a TP-Link VR200 I want to use as it supports multiple USB connections , which is something I need. However it just will not connect to DSL/Internet.

I have tried using the wizard and manually.

DSL Modulation = ADSL

VPI = 0

VCI = 38

Connection  = PPoA

(enter user name and password)

Connection mode = Always On

Authentication = CHAP

The only way DSL connects is to use DSL Modulation Type VDSL2 and Annex Type Annex A/B 

Bit Swap and SRA are enabled

I should add that I am on the Unlimited Fibre Extra package but have a standard NTE 5C socket (Not sure if this helps)

I fail to understand why its so damn difficult , unless Plusnet somehow cripple device connections for equipment not supplied by them ? (The only reason I say this is because if I pug the Plusnet router back in (same cables) it works)

If anyone has any clues I would be most grateful.

9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Nightmare trying to setup TP-Link Archer VR200

I presume you are on an ADSL account and not a fibre account.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.
moved to correct board.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

If you are on fibre, then the DSL Modulation would be VDSL not ADSL.  If I remember correctly it's pretty simple to set up.  Go to the Quick Setup tab, Select Plusnet_VDSL from the ISP list, on the next page enter your username (which ends in 

@plusdsl.net) and your password (same one as you can use to log into https://portal.plus.net), then that is it for the internet connection side of things.  The other settings are automatically set.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gokiwi
Hooked

This is the thing i'm not on fibre , I have a lump of at least 25 year old copper between my phone socket and the cab/exchange. This whole fibre thing is a bit of a misnomer, or at best misleading 😞   

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

You said in post #1 that you were on "Unlimited Fibre Extra package". If so, then the modulation is VDSL regardless of the copper between you and the cabinet. But I see your point that calling it "fibre" is confusing.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@gokiwi

To explain things in a little more detail, You are on a 'fibre to the cabinet' (FTTC) service. This takes fibre to a local green cabinet, hopefully located within a few hundred meters of your property. From here to your property the original copper cable is still used, hence I suspect your confusion. There is another service called 'fibre to the premises' (FTTP) where the fibre is brought all the way to your property but that is not a Plusnet mainstream service at present.

Many, many of us do not use the Plusnet supplied hardware and there is no secret plot to nobble such customers., you simply haven't got your settings right.

So, you need to set up your router for VDSL - use the fibre settings here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I had one of these units for a while. It would not connect on a vdsl connection . If i used the old bt Openreach modem plugged iinto the line I could then use the TP link as a router only .but his rather defeated  the object  

I tired everything possible including TP link support and plus net support but it would not connect. Eventually TP link decided it was faulty and I returned it for. Full refund. Glad I did as it's a horrendously large and ugly piece of kit anyway ! 

gokiwi
Hooked

Okay so I am all sorted !.

Many issue's none of which are Plusnet's (so thats a good thing).

Thanks to everybody who contributed.

Here's a quick roundup.

1. Confusion , yes I am on FTTC but documentation provided was for ADSL  - Which given that I play with high end routers and switches (10/40/100Gb stuff) is pretty poor on my behalf !!.

2. My actual cables are shared with my neighbour , this is going to be fixed ASAP , It seems that they have a broken pair so "BT" commoned up on the black (earth or ground) but both houses are at different potential's.

3. I needed to upgrade the VR200 as there was a problem with the VDSL templates.

So I was fighting a few issues. some my own and some I couldn't have known about 🙂

and now BT tell my I can have FTTP but there's no one to provision it 😞 

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Where did you find out about FTTP?  If it's on the BT Wholesale checker, then is it "WBC FTTP" or "FTTP on Demand"?  "WBC FTTP" is the "normal" FTTP product as a few ISPs sell (including Plusnet, though on a Trial).  "FTTP on Demand" is available in most places where FTTC is, and comes with a massive install charge (£39,000 + VAT looks to be a popular figure!), and only a couple of ISPs are currently offering that.

WBC FTTP would show something like this: https://goo.gl/images/o1Mgn4

It's unusual (but not unheard of) to be able to get FTTC and WBC FTTP at the same address.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Duplicate post removed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.