Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet and now can't access Synology NAS

mwerner
Dabbler

New to Plusnet and now can't access Synology NAS

Hi

Have just moved to Plusnet broadband from Virgin Media as Virgin was getting way too expensive. Have the new Plusnet router set up and connected to the internet but now can't access my Synology NAS Disk Station. I have spoken to Plusnet support but they seem to be totally uninterested (which isn't a great sign). I gather I might need to change some settings on the router but have no idea what or how, please can anyone help before I start regretting moving to Plusnet.

Many thanks

Martyn

20 REPLIES 20
mpmc
Grafter

Re: New to Plusnet and now can't access Synology NAS

Hi there and welcome. 

When you say you can't access it do you mean..

• The web interface
  • The windows "samba" shares
  • Something else

I assume you mean samba access. If you can access the webui that would suggest that something is blocking the share access. When you connected to the plusnet router were you asked if the new network was a private or home connection? What did you choose?

Can you see other shares from other devices?

mwerner
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for your reply

I'm not sure what you mean by Samba shares, never heard of that one.

I can't see the Synology NAS anywhere on the network. I can't connect to it via the web interface using the IP address of the NAS (as it was when I could connect to it on the old broadband). I can't see it under 'Network' from my windows PC and none of the Synology mobile apps can connect to it now. I have also downloaded some software (Synology Assistant) from Synology that should find any local Synology Diskstations.

It seems to me that the new router is blocking it somehow but I'm a total novice with routers and don't understand port forwarding etc (if that is what needs doing)

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What is the IP of the NAS? It will need to be in the same subnet as the router i.e. 192.168.1.X

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mwerner
Dabbler

Hi Bob

That sounds like we might be onto something. 

The IP address of the NAS is 192.168.0.11:5000

Router seems to be 192.168.1.x

Does that mean I have to change the IP of the NAS? How am I going to do that if I can't access it. Can I change the IP of the router instead to that of the old one? (Forgive me if this sounds dumb)

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

mpmc
Grafter

IIRC you can change the IP range on the hubs, I haven't used one in ages though.

At present I have BT Homehubs:  3, 5, 6 ("smart hub"), and now a PlusNet hub one.  

The reason I stopped using them was due to the fact that they can be commandeered by tech support via tr069. Knuppel

mwerner
Dabbler

I'm afraid that means nothing to me, what does IIRC mean?

Bob, if you could follow up on where we were getting to with IP addresses I'd be really grateful, thanks

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

mpmc
Grafter

IIRC = If I recall correctly Smiley

mwerner
Dabbler

OK, thanks

Can you offer any guidance on how I change the address range, I can't see anywhere on the router settings where I can do that.

PacketLoss
Dabbler

If you’ve left your Synology on default network settings it should obtain a new IP address from the hub when it starts, you can manually restart the Synology using the button (check the manual for your specific model). Otherwise come back here and see if the guys can help you change the address of the Synology manually (will require you reconfiguring a PC with the old network details).
mwerner
Dabbler

The default on my Synology was to have a static IP, I've never changed this. I can't access the Synology as the Plusnet router won't let me. I'm currently trying to speak to Plusnet to see if I can change the IP range on the router but I'm not hopeful of this as they don't seem very helpful and have now decided they won't speak to me (despite having already spoken to them) as it is my partner whose name is on the account. Need to wait to get me down as an authorised user but as it takes 20+ minutes to get through to support every time, this is not easy. Can't say I'm very impressed with Plusnet so far.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

deleted in favour of @MisterW better advice.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There's an earlier similar thread here https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Changing-IP-Address-Range/td-p/1452250

That implies that there is a Synology Assistant app that should be able to find the NAs and reconfigure it's IP address.

In which case if you change it from the 192.168.0.11 to say 192.168.1.11 then you should be able to access it again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mwerner
Dabbler

@bill888 wrote:

You need to log into the Hub One by pointing web browser to 192.168.1.254

Navigate to the page shown below.  Try these instructions:

Change the IP address from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.0.1 as used by Virgin superhubs.

Further down the page, under 'DHCP range' you need to click on the 'Configure Manually'.

You should then be asked to enter new address range.

eg.  192.168.0.64 to 192.168.0.253

(Leave DHCP server set to 'Enabled')

Press Apply button.

The hub may then restart.

Check you have internet access.

Check if your NAS is working.

Adv.Settings-Home.Network-IP.Addresses.jpg

I don't have that screen when I log onto my router but definitely looks like the one I need. Looks like I have a different router. Its a 2704n and looks like this:

Router.jpg

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

My apologies, I wrongly assumed you were a new fibre customer and was issued with a new Hub One.

You will need to access the 'hidden' expert page on the 2704n if you still wish to make changes to your router:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Change-LAN-IP-on-Plusnet-Hub-Zero-2704n/m-p/1421728#U1421728

I would suggest trying  Synology Assistant app first as advised by MisterW

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-