Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router/modem?

FIXED
Trevstan
Grafter

New router/modem?

Hi all my internet was recently down due to a fault at the box.

However I had to go through all the hoops till the engineer was sent out including trying a new router which my dad borrowed me his one hub as his fibre doesn't upgrade till the 5th Jan got to give him it back today.

After using his hub one I have found out it the wifi is better than my current setup of Technicolor 582n and Openreach modem.

My current setup is Openreach modem in kitchen next to main telephone socket then about 10 metre Ethernet cable to the TV cabinet plugged into the 582n then a Ethernet into the youview box (only use it for catchup tv/and recording tv don't have a subscription bought it from cex) then a 15 metre cable to the PC upstairs.

Now am guessing the best option is to keep the modem in the setup due to needing the wire for the PC? I like a wired connection due to gaming and wireless is never as good as wired for download speeds (I get about 73mb wired)... But tablets,mobiles and the Xbox one is wireless.

So has any one got any opinions on my setup what could make it better? Willing to go fully wireless but don't see the point?

If a new router what has better Wi-Fi than my current 582n dont mind getting the one hub as I guess you can use it just as a router (have not tried but seen the red port on the back) but would have to purchase it from eBay as I don't want to be reconntracted for the sake of a router... What the best value router sub £50 as I don't feel  the need to spend loads.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Ta.

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New router/modem?

@Trevstan, you'll be able to pick up a Hub One on eBay for a lot less than £50.

For example : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plusnet-Hub-One/112726359888

Trevstan
Grafter

Is the bt hub 6 worth £30 pre owned is it better than the one hub?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

The Plusnet Hub One is a BT Home Hub 5a with a different colour case and tweeked firmware. The BT Smarthub 6A is superior in performance and well worth the extra cost from Ebay.

This should be installed next to the main BT socket. Keep your Ethernet cable connections for the very best performance.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Trevstan
Grafter

So should I put the hub 6 next to the main socket in the kitchen instead of using the Openreach modem?

Does that mean I could use the 582n as a pass through (like an Ethernet switch) to my youview box and pc upstairs? Or would I be better of buying an Ethernet switch?

Baldrick1

Fix

You most cetainly ditch the BT modem. A Smart Hub does both Modem and router in the one unit. Yes this should be located in the kitchen next to the BT master socket. 

If you can feed all your other devices from the kitchen on separate Ethernet cables this would be ideal. However if you need to divide a single Ethernet cable in another room then you will need a switch. I understand that you can turn your 582 into a switch. Basically you switch off DCHP and allocate an IP address in the 582 admin settings. If you do a search you will find postings telling you how to do this in detail.

Alternatively go out and spend very little money on a 1GHz switch and use the full potential of the Smarthub.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Trevstan

If you are considering buying a Smart Hub 6 from Ebay the following may be of use: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/m-p/1504366#M5170

Moderator and Customer

Trevstan
Grafter

I think getting an ethernet switch would be the easiest option as would have to get a Ethernet joiner and splitter would be loads of work considering the switch is only about £10... And won't be any difference.

Cheers for your help.

Trevstan
Grafter

BT Home Hub 6 - Ebay

Got this one for under 30 quid.

Trevstan
Grafter

Set my Smart hub 6/Ethernet switch this morning was a doddle.

The wireless is so much better, tested the wired am getting 69 down 19 up was getting 73 down 19 up on my old setup I can live with that loss for a greater gain on my wireless.
Raadghast
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Hello

I recently 'upgraded' to the Hub One, after a few weeks I've started getting drops and the WiFi is really poor. I have an open call, as since yesterday afternoon I lost connection totally and I'm awaiting an engineer from OpenReach... however once the line issues are eliminated (if there are any) then I don't believe this will make any difference to the poor strength WiFi.

As currently PlusNet only offer the Hub One as their goto device, naturally I'll need to buy a new/better hub or Modem/Router combo. PN Staff cannot suggest alternative products that they don't sell, so I'd really appreciate some help on this please.

I need a setup that will give good WiFi range, preferably multi-channel so I can have my son's PS4 separate from watching Netflix on the TV in the lounge (which is about as far away from the router as it gets in my house). The master switch and kit are located in the study, where I often work from home and thus need a reliable fast connection (although I can use a cable for that being close enough). Lastly, I've always had good results in the past with NetGear so if there is a recommendation that utilises NetGear equipment I'd feel happier.

Really appreciate your insights and expertise folks, thanks in advance.

PS. I still have the OpenReach Modem if that is sufficient with a better router?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It depends on the speeds you are getting from BT.

Unless it's pretty close to what you are paying for, I wouldn't spend a great deal on super-fast hardware.

Current fashion is to supply modem, router and wifi all in one box, which sits near the master socket.

If the wifi is in the wrong place, you could feed a separate access point via ethernet (preferably), so that it is somewhere near where it's going to be used.

Otherwise, the only really reliable method is to use ethernet cabling, ideally Gigabit quality.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."