Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router, Sonos, Google WiFi help

FIXED
eggon83

New router, Sonos, Google WiFi help

Hi,
I have had Plusnet for a few months and was unable to get WiFi throughout the house. I have since bought 3 Google WIFI 'pucks' to solve this issue. This has worked. I plugged my Google primary puck into my Plusnet router. Simple.
I also have Sonos throughout the house and this is where I am having an issue. From reading different topics on the Plusnet forums and speaking to a Plusnet advisor, the Plusnet router cannot be put into bridge mode, which is what Sonos needs to enable all my Sonos speakers to work. Currently some of my Sonos speakers connect and others do not.
I was advised to buy a new router that allowed bridge mode. I bought a BT Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B FTTC VDSL NTE Fibre Modem. As I was told this could do the job.
I've searched forums and YouTube for an idiot's guide to set this up. *I'm not very techie.
I just cannot get it to work.
I guess I ultimately want this new router to replace my Plusnet one and for the new router to plug into my Google.
I used this YouTube video which was useful but I couldn't access my BT routers admin page, the 192.168.1.1 page would not load. https://youtu.be/Gys__d7Dl88

Does anybody have an idiot's guide? A simple step by step way to get this setup?
Really appreciate your help
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: New router, Sonos, Google WiFi help

Fix

I bought a BT Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B FTTC VDSL NTE Fibre Modem. As I was told this could do the job.
I've searched forums and YouTube for an idiot's guide to set this up

There's no setup to do on the HG612, it's purely a modem. You connect that to your phone line and then connect the Google wifi via Etherenet to the LAN1 port on the HG612. You WILL need to configure the Google WIFI for a PPPoE connection using  your PlusNet username & password , see here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

eggon83

Brilliant, thank you MisterW I think that's fixed it
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): The fix has been changed to @MisterW as per message #2.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still